View Single Post
Old 12-03-2002, 12:37 PM   #6
PNYXPS66
Registered Member

Default Timing . . .

Usually the label was located on the fan shroud right in front of you on the top, or on the underside of the hood, usually to one side near the front. It provides all the setting inforamtion for your vehicle. If this label is in fact gone, you can do two things: 1) call you local ford parts department or service center and see if they can get the settings from ford. Have your full VIN number with you when you call. They will need this to Id your specific car. 2) Obtain a Haynes (Clymers or Chilton's are other manual makers) manual that includes your particular year of pony. It will instruct you on how to disable the emmissions system to set the base timing. The $12-$20 you spend on the manual will save you the first time you use it in frustration and paying someone else to fix your car.

(I am assuming you know the basics on setting timing here.) If the information is not available, then you must start blind. When you set your timing, start at 4 degrees after top dead center(ATDC). Reconnect the emmissions system and test the car. If it runs ok, or better, take the car to a service center to get the timing set correctly.

Although you have replaced the ignition system, have you tested to see if you are getting spark to the #1 plug? If not, the problem may be in the coil or the wire even if they are new! Swap plug wires and see if the problem follows the wire. If so, there's you culprit. Same for the coil packs; reverse them (I believe there are only two) if the problem follows the coil pack, replace it.
Let me know how it goes.