MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Small Ponies
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 07-19-1999, 07:30 PM   #1
Trevor
Registered Member

Question How do I know if the turbo is working?

I found a 1987 Turbo Coupe which I am thinking about buying for the engine. I am going to put it in my 1990 lx 2.3L First of all the engine starts up but then cuts off if the gas is let up. The car is not in too bad of shape and has 150,000 miles on it, I am planning on rebuilding it any way. My problem is that i don't want it if the turbo is no good. There is a turbo gauge in the dash that while the car is running(briefly) registers nothing. For all I know it (the gauge) could just be broken. Is the turbo working? How am i to tell, is there any way to be certain it is working. I am not sure if the car will move since the engine cuts off so i don't think a road test will work to see if it puts out any power. Any suggestions? Also i want to know if the rear end from the Turbo Coupe will fit on my mustang?
Trevor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-1999, 02:12 AM   #2
Unit 5302
Registered Member

Well, you arn't going to get any reading from the gauge at an idle, as it takes a load on the engine to generate the necessary exhaust pressure to spool the turbo.

If the turbo hasn't been rebuilt, chances are, with 150xxx it's not in great condition. Don't get me wrong, it can be good, but it's not very likely that it's in great shape.

Personally, if I was going to use a car for it's driveline, I'd make sure it ran so I could test it, or it was ridiculusly cheap. After all, who else is going to but a 150xxx mile car that doesn't run?

As far as the rear end is concerned, nope... not without serious modification. The axles are longer, it's got the quad shock setup, and I don't think the quad shock brackets are in the same area as the Mustang.

[This message has been edited by Unit 5302 (edited 07-20-1999).]
Unit 5302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-1999, 08:17 PM   #3
Jett
Registered Member

my turbo had 130k miles on it and in pristine condition. If you can get the car started run spool the turbo up and listen to it. I would take the turbo off and also remove the front inlet-pipe, which will allow you to see if the impellars have been damaged and to see if there is any play in the shaft, also see if the wastegate functions, it should take about 30lbs of force to move it (yes I said 30).

As for the rear-end yes it will fit (at least mine did), it will be a tad bit longer. And if it is an automatic then you will also get the 3.73's with trac lok, whooo hooo!!!

------------------
Brad
88lx 2.3T soon to have 350hp
www.turboford.org
Jett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-1999, 10:35 PM   #4
Unit 5302
Registered Member

True, it can be in excellent condition, but I really don't think many people treat the turbo's the way they should, my Turbo coupe was in fair condition with 114k on it, it only spooled to 13-14psi. 15 on rare occations.

As far as spooling it without a load on the engine, true the turbo may spool without power to the driveline, but it'll never hit the 15psi it should put out. Where a turbo shows wear is in boost capability. A worn turbo may only make 12psi or something like that. 12psi to 15psi makes a big performance difference, and turbo's are expensive to rebuild, or change.

I want you to know, this is not gang up on Jett week, your answers are solid, but in this case, I wouldn't buy it unless it's in running shape, or is very cheap. Just my opinion.
Unit 5302 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: