MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 06-19-2001, 02:41 PM   #1
A Wild Neg
Registered Member

Post Adjust the Timing?

Stuipd question, but everyone tells me differently. I got a restrictor, and my car that ran at like 200+ now runs at 160-180 which is really nice. I'm working on even cooler.

But, I got all excited and played with my timing, back and forth, and it warms up really fast and goes pretty high now. My question is, if i'm standing in front of the car, looking down into the engine compartment, and I turn the distrubuter clockwise, is that advancing or retarding? I don't have timing marks, this car is like pure racing for some strange reason they didn't add that on? So I have been doing it by ear. Anyone have any suggestions to get it at the best spot for cooling and power? Even cooling would be ok, I can always advance it if I'm going to race, and just move it back (I'll make a mark this time). Thanks!
A Wild Neg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2001, 03:13 PM   #2
stangbang
Registered Member

Wink

If you move your distributor in the direction of rotation you are advancing timing move it in the oposite direction and you retard timing. I have never seen an engine with no timing marks on the harmonic balancer but I guess it's possible. I know that Summit sells timing tape that you can put on your balancer. If you can find top dead center it should not be a problem to install the tape,which would be a lot better than going by ear.
stangbang is offline   Reply With Quote