MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Small Ponies
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 03-17-1999, 05:00 PM   #1
Little_Mercury
Registered Member

Default How will my Capri 3.3Ltr. 6inline run faster??

Hi there!
I saw this site, fantastic! I'm a proud Capri 1980model owner.
How do I make my Mercury Capri faster without putting a V8 in it? There is many Stang-stuff but are there also possibilities for a six-inline?? Hope to hear from you!!
Little_Mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-1999, 09:28 PM   #2
PanamaRed90LX
Registered Member

Great topic. My 17 year old son and I are building an '85 Mustang that was originally a 4 banger. We have installed a 6 holer with C3 transmission from a '78 Fairmont.<p>
The first thing is to free up the exhaust. We had a good muffler shop install a 2 1/4 inch pipe with a Super Turbo muffler and an LX chromed tip. It sounds great and looks good, too. While we had the engine out I took a grinder to the inside of the cast iron manifold and removed a few rough spots. Advance the timing as far as it will go without pinging.<p>
Our next step when the car gets back from the paint shop will be to install the 8.8 Traction-Lok rearend that I removed from my '90 LX when I installed the new FMS rear. This has 3.08 gears which will be an improvement over the 2.7s in the car now. It will also get late model brakes and spindles. We have already installed a bithin' set of 16" Borbet wheels and my son is itching to get his license. Unfortunately he has to wait until he is 18.
PanamaRed90LX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-1999, 11:08 PM   #3
Uneek 80
Registered Member

Wow! Another out there! I have an '80 Hatchback with a 3.3. I Must suggest a couple of things: As far as advancing timing, my best results have been to reroute the vacuum to a direct venturi vacuum, and set base timing at approx 25-30 degrees (I had an 81 previously I had set it at 42 safely, but I think there's a distributor difference). I have also swapped up to a Holley 1946 carb ('81 up), and swapped out the untouched C4 trans for a 4 speed o/d manual. You may also want to check out Clifford Performance (www.cliffordperformance.com), they specialize in 6 cyl performance.

I am also planning a few more mods, including the clifford header (possibly dual), and attempting throttle body injection. I have a 3.45 7.5" axle waiting on a shortened driveshaft. I need to get another block to bore it .060" over and balance it all. Possibly a T5 if I can figure how the swap will work (will have to modify bellhousing and move trans crossmember back about an inch.)

If anyone else has some input please let us know! The 3.3 should not be a forgotten breed!

------------------
Jeremy B.
"Unique" 80 Hatchback
Uneek 80 is offline   Reply With Quote