MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Small Ponies
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 01-22-2004, 12:12 AM   #1
Dean Malaxos
Registered Member

Default I need some help...

I bought a 92' LX Hatchback with a 2.3 Turbo. So far this car is awesome. The problem is that tonight I was driving and my battery light came one. A few minutes later and my wires that go to my alternator were on fire. I am lucky that I have a wrecked 87 sitting in my driveway. I just don't want the new one to catch fire. Is it possible that my alternator burned up, got real hot and torched my wires? The fire was right where the wires meet the alternator. Please hepl...Dean
Dean Malaxos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2004, 02:44 PM   #2
DRAGPAK
Registered Member

Default alt fire

THE PROBLEM IS THE PLUG IN CONNECTION ,REPLACE THE PLUG IN HARRNESS GOING TO THE ALT WITH A NEW ONE. U CAN BUY THEM A CAR QUEST NAPA STORES.
------------
DRAGPAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2004, 02:51 PM   #3
420nitro
Registered Member

Default Re: alt fire

Quote:
Originally posted by DRAGPAK
THE PROBLEM IS THE PLUG IN CONNECTION ,REPLACE THE PLUG IN HARRNESS GOING TO THE ALT WITH A NEW ONE. U CAN BUY THEM A CAR QUEST NAPA STORES.
------------
True,.. Now even at some auto parts stores, they will give you a new plug when you purchase a new alternater. They even state in the warranty papers that if you dont install the new plug it will void the warranty on the new alternater and risk possiable fire from the original plug. Go figure.
Good Luck
420nitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2004, 05:49 PM   #4
Dean Malaxos
Registered Member

Thanks guys, I cut off the old wires and went to Nappa. As soon as I walked in the store they saw my wires and new exactly what I was there for. The guy told me that he has seen hundreds of them and that it was a major recall issue for Ford. Anyway I am back in business. I changed the alternator as well, just in case. Good news is that I have a wrecked 87' sitting in my driveway...Dean
Dean Malaxos is offline   Reply With Quote