MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Small Ponies
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 05-02-2001, 06:54 PM   #1
94greenstang
Registered Member

Angry ignition problems!!! HELP!!

A week ago my 1994 Mustang's check engine light came on and then started to missfire, so I went and replaced the spark plugs, spark plug wires, fuel filter, air filter, coil pack, fuel regulator valve. None of these replacemnts have helped and now I have white smoke and the smell of unburnt fuel coming from the exhaust pipe. Please HELP!!!! Thanks
94greenstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2001, 02:38 AM   #2
84stangLX

that sounds like a blown head gasket. If you have a V6 mustang that was a VERY common problem. Open your radiator cap and see if it bubbles while it's running. Also check the oil and see if you can see any coolant/fluid other than oil in there...if it's a chocolate milk color, that's very bad. you can also try a compression test/leakdown test to verify which cylinders the gasket has blown. A blown head gasket will cause poor running/pinging under acceleration and as the gasket gets worse, it runs really bad and white smoke will come out of the exhaust. And as you could tell the fuel is alot harder to ignite with water in the combustion chamber. 1 main thing is to stop driving your car until you get this replaced. Driving it like that can warp the heads, score cylinder walls, etc. Good luck and i'm sorry to hear your misfortune.