MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 04-16-2002, 08:08 PM   #1
Mustang Cain

Cool Ignition upgrade

Im starting to think about upgrading my ignition. I would like to go with Performance Distributors Screamin Demon Coil, Live wires, and DYNA MOD. anyone ever used these? What do you guys think about the Accel 300+ ignition box? Im between that and the Crane Cams Hi-6 box. My only con for the Hi-6 is the price. I plan on upgrading the ignition after i put on a new exhaust (probably Dynomax ultra flow) and im going to buy a AFPR at the same time as the ignition.
Old 04-17-2002, 04:51 PM   #2
PKRWUD

It's been my experience that unlike the cars of the past, the factory ignition in your car is not worth changing, unless you have made some serious mods. The factory system can easily handle 350+ hp, but it's your money. As far as a recommendation, I love the 300+ wires, but haven't tried their box yet. I have owned and installed for customers dozens of MSD boxes and HI-6 boxes, and prefer the HI-6 box myself. But, when I installed one in my F-150, the performance actually diminished. This same box worked great with a nitrous injected 403 in a '77 Buick, but for my truck, the factory 1995 ignition system was better. I have added a Crane PS91 coil, but more for preventative maintanence than for performance.

Take care,
-Chris
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2002, 09:38 PM   #3
gtsr515
Registered Member

P-wud is right, unless you are going to a power adder setup, the stock ignition is plenty "HOT", this is a common upgrade that really doesn't improve anything, as a matter of fact Rick Anderson once told me it slowed his naturally aspirated car down some.
Old 04-18-2002, 12:51 AM   #4
Coupe5oh
Registered Member

I agree somewhat, but we actually did a little accidental test, my friend has a hatchback lx, pretty stock with a tb, 4.30grs, a tremec, h-pipe and pullies, i always spanked this guy, and he cant stand it because his car runs outta gear quick, even off the line though, i pull him,

well he installed an msd 6al box and blaster coil, we left a car wash and came to a light, light went green and the race was on, I noticed his car pulled to higher rpms than usual, and i had a harder time keeping a lead on him, i asked him if he felt a difference with the ignition, he said yes! and that it pulled harder, smoother in the upper rpms, but for the price, i tell him he should have got subframe connectors.

If you do get the crane hi6, lemme know how it performs.
Police package 5spd 90 Lx, Stock original motor, 3.27grs, BM fan, fms 10.5 clutch, D&D quadrant, and adjuster, ADS chip, 180 stat, mac cai, mac h-pipe, mac subframe connectors, ASP crank pulley, ripper shifter, 26x10.5 M/T sport pros welds. 246 hp according to analyzer
Race weight: 3,120

E.t-13.57 with 26x10.50's e.t. streets. 1.88 60'

mph- 99.92 mph
Coupe5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2002, 08:27 PM   #5
Mustang Cain

Everyone tells me that the stock this and the stock that works fine but a friend of mine has an 87 GT and he put a MSD blaster 2 coil, msd wires, and some platinum spark plugs in and said he noticed a noticable difference in power and throttle response. You see my plan is start upgrading certain things now and see what they do and eventually after i get the money i want to put a TDC twin turbo setup on and or maybe nitrous. Ive upgraded the ignition on other cars and noticed and serious improvement in power and gas mileage.
Old 04-18-2002, 08:51 PM   #6
jimberg
Registered Member

I have an HI-6S that I'm struggling with at this point since it works intermittently (sometimes it fails to "boot" properly), but when it does work, I noticed a big improvement in gas mileage and the power seems smoother. I have the MSD superconductor wires, an Accel coil, and Autolite 3924's gapped to stock gap of .052".
Old 04-18-2002, 08:52 PM   #7
explicitone
Registered Member

I dont know about those but I have the msd tfi coil ,msd wires and the msd 6al and I love them
explicitone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2002, 08:02 AM   #8
PKRWUD

Cain-

Quote:

Everyone tells me that the stock this and the stock that works fine but a friend of mine has an 87 GT and he put a MSD blaster 2 coil, msd wires, and some platinum spark plugs in and said he noticed a noticable difference in power and throttle response.
Then why did you even ask? If you're just looking for people to agree with what you've already decided, go to a bar. Drunks tend to agree with whoever's buying.

It's your money. Waste it however you want.

Your buddy's car is 8 years older than yours. A stock replacement would have made a difference. Also, you could be his hero by letting him know he should shitcan the platinum plugs, too. Plat's are for NON-MAINTAINED VEHICLES. If he plans on wrenching on it, the plat's will hurt him. They can't be re-gapped, either. If he feels like welding the hood shut, tell him the plat's were a good choice.
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
Old 04-19-2002, 08:23 AM   #9
Mach 1
Registered Member

Ok, Im thirsty. For a couple cold ones, Ill tell you the real deal. You will notice huge horsepower gains with the MSD 6AL ignition, just like your friend said.

The factory ignition in these newer, clean burning, emissions freindly and gas mileage freindly engines just doesnt work efficiently, thats why the cars run so good with it. Oh wait, I need a beer.....yeah, get the platinum plugs definately. They make 10 HP over stock.

good luck...
RHC member #142
Mach 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2002, 11:16 AM   #10
Mr 5 0
Conservative Individualist

Exclamation Ignition facts and myths

Mustang cain:

You wrote:

Everyone tells me that the stock this and the stock that works fine but a friend of mine has an 87 GT and he put a MSD blaster 2 coil, msd wires, and some platinum spark plugs in and said he noticed a noticable difference in power and throttle response.

You have a stock engine and aftermarket ignition upgrades won't do much for you at all as your engine has no need for them.

A 'hot' MSD coil and wires are fine and won't hurt a thing, but any real performance improvement you 'feel' will be mostly imaginary, although you may pick up a small gas mileage increase if your original coil and wires are tired.

Platinim plugs are expensive and pointless. Save your money, buy Autolites and change them out every 10 - 15,000 miles.

As Chris pointed out, old car ignitions were weak and didn't deliver maximum spark at higher RPMs, that's why you had to either change the whole distributor or else change weights, springs, etc and add 'hot' coils and plug wires to get maximum spark. That ended around the mid-80's when electronic ignitions hit the production lines, especially on Mustang V-8's.

Race cars use the stock Ford ignitions! Sure, engines with big mods will benefit from a MSD box but not anything near-stock. Why waste the money? Save it for a set of rear gears that will do about 300% more for performance than fooling around with the already-improved ignition.

If you insist on playing with ignition, add MSD wires, Autolite plugs (#25), a brass-terminal cap (new rotor too, of course) and if you must, the MSD coil. Minor upgrade that will - at the least - help you to start well and maintain good spark at high RPM, which you won't see much of, anyway, but what the heck, it's fun to work on the 'Stang and these mods are fairly easy to do and won't hurt you a bit. Have fun.
Mr 5 0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2002, 10:51 PM   #11
Hozer 88GTConv
Registered Member

Default I gotta agree...

I bought a freakin Mallory distro ($240) and that hunk of **** actually lasted less than 20k after developing a high end miss that took eons to troubleshoot. It turns out the hall sensor inside the distro went out.
I found the factory OEM 14 year old distro in a dusty box, put it back in and my car has never run better.
Hozer 88GTConv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2002, 11:43 PM   #12
1BAD89
Tubbed and Juiced

Quote:
I bought a freakin Mallory distro ($240)
You should have bought a MSD Pro Billet.
1BAD89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2002, 01:37 AM   #13
ultraflo
NX dealer-man

Actually the TFI module went bad in my MSD "Pro Billet" a couple months after buying it...

None of this stuff is perfect. Actually the MSD is good if you rev over 9,000 rpm's , other than that, it just looks good. And there is nothing wrong with that, IMO. The stock distributor is a fine unit.

As far as the Performance Distributors kit, I ran it for a couple years and thought it was cool. Didn't notice any extreme power gains, but it was nice to have when I bought my first nitrous express kit. The Live Wires look cool and lasted for some time, but I went through a few of those DYNA-MOD's, damn TFI's

Overall I'd say it's a nice tune-up kit at best... don't forget the platinum plugs (where's that beer you owe me Hozer?)

Later

93 LX
9.20 @ 147mph

03 Mach 1
12.39 @ 116mph

Last edited by ultraflo; 04-20-2002 at 01:46 AM..
ultraflo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2002, 11:54 AM   #14
1BAD89
Tubbed and Juiced

Quote:
Actually the TFI module went bad in my MSD "Pro Billet" a couple months after buying it...
My "Pro Billet" has performed flawlessly, and about 30 guys I know have had the same experience. But I'm running it on a 383 carb'd motor.
1BAD89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2002, 12:30 PM   #15
Hozer 88GTConv
Registered Member

Default Hey ultraflo...

Hey ultraflo,
I'm sending the beer with a nice set of platinum and gold triple spark 15hp\10mpg each electrically hydraulic plugs.
Hozer 88GTConv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2002, 03:43 PM   #16
Mustang Cain

PRKWUD i did not ask IF i should but WHAT i should upgrade with.
I qoute myself "Im starting to think about upgrading my ignition". As far as the plats i dont feel like spending $40 on some darn sparks plugs, if i was to get a different brand it would be NGK plugs. (ive heard allot of good things about them)

P.S. I hate it when people on these boards get so personal and sarcastic. I only asked for some advice on an upgrade and that was it. I had the same thing happen on MOPARCHAT. i dont understand why the question just cant be answered with out someone getting all uptight and snotty about it.

P.P.S what difference does it make if i upgrade my ignition now wether i need or not now then if i was to do it when i do need it. I think it makes sense to do it before i need it so that way i dont have problems in the future and i can realize all the perfomance gains of future mods.
Old 04-22-2002, 04:03 PM   #17
Mr 5 0
Conservative Individualist

Exclamation Arguing about facts

Mustang Cain:

You posted the following:

I hate it when people on these boards get so personal and sarcastic. I only asked for some advice on an upgrade and that was it. I had the same thing happen on MOPARCHAT. i dont understand why the question just cant be answered with out someone getting all uptight and snotty about it.

Your question was answered by PKRWUD, myself and a few others. All recommended you save your money as the stock ignition is fine. Apparently those replies weren't what you wanted to hear because you responded by stating that 'your friend said' he added ignition upgrades and his Mustang ran better. You clearly indicated that you were dubious about how good the stock ignition really was, basically calling us liars or at best, uninformed.

That pisses people off. PKRWUD said as much when he posted back to you. If you want to spend your money on useless ignition parts, go ahead. No one will stop you, it's your car. However, don't ask for advice, receive it, then question it when it's from certified mechanics and long-time Mustang owners and racers who know what they're talking about.

We're not here to debate with you. You asked a question and we responded with answers that apparently you don't agree with. Fine. Do as you wish but don't complain about people resenting others who ask for help then dispute the answers they receive with no basis in fact. That's annoying and yes, we do take it personal.

This site is populated with real people behind the User Names. We don't like being questioned on established facts. You'll get the same response from any qualified mechanic or experienced owner/racer when you question them on simple facts based on 'What my friend told me'. That's insulting. Hopefully you'll figure this out, soon.
Mr 5 0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2002, 04:57 PM   #18
Mach 1
Registered Member

Well said, if I do say so myself. Mr 5.0 for President...
RHC member #142
Mach 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2002, 06:16 PM   #19
PKRWUD

That sure was. Jim, you've got my vote too.

I need to get me some of them there "dignity" pills, and maybe then I too could be a little less sarcastic, and a little more to the point.

Cain, I come here because I enjoy helping people that want to be helped. My time is worth more than just trying to say what someone wants to hear.

Sorry if my truth wasn't the answer you were looking for. Perhaps I should just avoid your threads in the future. That would probably serve us both.

Good luck in whatever it is that you decide to go with.

Take care,
-Chris
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!