MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Small Ponies
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 04-22-2005, 05:13 PM   #1
CupCake
Registered Member

Unhappy Intake:

I am pretty new on this board and I don't know a whole lot about cars. I have a 2001 V6 3.8 Mustang. I have started to make some changes on it. I have been looking for an intake but I am kind of confused. There is tons of those on ebay. I found a couple but I don't know which ones are good. I mean there is some for $42.00 and up, so I would like to get some opinions on which ones are good and some price ideas. The one that I was looking at, the brand is Hiprospeed, I have also seen the K&N, which I have heard they are the best.

But any ideas or comments are welcome. Also a little question, Do you guys think a mustang with Neon underneath is gay or ricy?
Old 04-22-2005, 05:44 PM   #2
Jimljr145
Registered Member

Default Re: Intake:

Are you talking about an intake manifold or a cold air intake? If you are talking about CAI, which I would assume from the price, there are many opinions on that in regards to the V6. I've heard that just an upgraded air filter in your stock air box will benefit a V6, and a CAI is a waste of money unless you do other mods. Also make sure the silencer is removed (rubber boot that goes in the fender) from the air box when you place the new filter in it. That will be good for a couple horse power and a bit of noise as well. As far as the neon, check with your state and local traffic laws, as in New jersey, neon is illegal under your car. It is also illegal inside your car when you are driving (It is a distraction and a hazard). I am a little conflicted when it comes to neon though, some times it looks really cool, some times, not so cool. It depends on the car and the color you chose. Just don't turn it on when you are driving (atleast in NJ).
"My other car is a Crown Vic"
Jimljr145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 06:49 PM   #3
Rollinastang
Registered Member

hey i got blue neone unders my mustang and it looks awsome makes it look mean at night......as gfar as you intake ? i hav a 2003 v6 and i put a K&N air intake on it and i got some extra passing power as well as a little deeper exhaust sound. and for further referance dont worry about what other people think about your ride do it for you if you like neons put them on there if you like a big ass fin put that on there who cares what anyone else thinks about your ride as long as you like it thats all that matters!

03 Mustang convertible V6, Sonic Blue with black top, K&N air intake, MAC dual 2.5in H-Pipe, MAC 2.5in cat-back exhaust with 3in stainless tips, custom Slime Blue gauge cluster, Alpine Head Unit, 4 Alpine 6x8 thumpin speakers in doors and rear panel!
Rollinastang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 08:13 PM   #4
CupCake
Registered Member

That is very true. I should be able to do whatever I want to my car.

The first I am goind to do this week is buy the exhaust system. And then maybe in the next two weeks I will get the intake. My car is a very pretty red, it is not like any other red so I want to put the neon that matches underneath. I have some pictures that I need to post here. I really like your car.
Old 04-22-2005, 10:14 PM   #5
95mustanggt
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CupCake
That is very true. I should be able to do whatever I want to my car.
LMAO, true, but if you make it look gay you can't get mad at people for laughing at you.

I agree with what was said above, neon can look good on a fwe cars, although I've seen very few where it looked OK. Neon lights just add too much flash.

Keep the rubber boot on your cold air intake, if I remember right, that trick only works on the 5.0, not the 4.6 or 3.8 (but I could be mistaken).

20016 F150 Lariat Super Crew
95mustanggt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2005, 08:40 AM   #6
CupCake
Registered Member

What is the gas mileage that GT's get?
Old 04-23-2005, 10:11 AM   #7
Dark_5.0
Registered Member

Leave the silencer my 01 cobra ran quicker with it in. If it wasnt choking my 320Hp v8 it isnt choking your V6.

A Cold air intake isnt going to do anything but look pretty so get the cheapest one that looks good.
Dark_5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2005, 12:08 PM   #8
Jimljr145
Registered Member

My GT gets anywhere from 10 to 19 mpg, depending on how and where I am driving. It's not too good, but my V6 stang is not much better, only like 13 to about 22 or so. I'll take the HP over the mpg any day.
"My other car is a Crown Vic"
Jimljr145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2005, 03:29 PM   #9
CupCake
Registered Member

Ok so putting the intake will not increase the HP at all?

That is not very good. I have made my v6 give 28 but that was a onetime only thing
Old 04-25-2005, 02:09 AM   #10
TXinPA
Registered Member

When I was looking for my v6 stang I drove some with dual exhaust and some with stock. It seemed to make a difference. The one I bought was bone stock and I plan on leaving it that way. I'm getting around 26 mpg in it and around 18 in the 92.
TXinPA is offline   Reply With Quote