MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Small Ponies
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 12-05-2002, 04:30 AM   #1
Sarah
Registered Member

Exclamation Interior light...

So I just got a 99 Mustang. I want to change the interior light, take out the white bulb(s) that are in there now and replace them with purple blacklight bulbs. I can get a bulb that is like a blacklight thing and i want to put it in there. I just don't want to screw up the light and i tried to open it today and it wouldn't budge. I am aware that my question sounds really lame, but i can't find my owner's book, my car is a mess and i just want to know if i can do this or not. My friend has a 99 Civic and i put her blacklight in her interior light for her and the thing popped right off very easily. I just want to know how i should be opening the cover, if i should open it from one side or what, or not even attempt to change the bulb in the first place.

Thanks!
Sarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2002, 05:41 PM   #2
Sarah
Registered Member

Default interior light

Nevermind people, i did it and it looks cool. Once i got a screw driver i had no problem opening the dome light cover.
Old 12-07-2002, 02:39 AM   #3
digital3.3

right on good to hear, do the lights work very well? as in letting enough light out to make it worth while.
Old 12-07-2002, 02:05 PM   #4
Sarah
Registered Member

Default re: interior light

Actually the one i got, it's not very bright at all. It's really cool, it's blueish but it hardly even give off light, it's very dim. Funny thing is that i got this light from an auto parts store and my friend got a blacklight, purplish one and she got it @ the mall and her's is much brighter than mine. The bulbs i got were like $3 so i think i'll just take those out and get one from the mall.
Old 12-08-2002, 04:32 PM   #5
Sarah
Registered Member

Default dome light

Yup i put the new one in i got at the mall lastnight. So this one is MUCH brighter than that other piece of crap one i had. It's bright purple. The smaller the bulb, the brighter the light.
Old 12-08-2002, 11:45 PM   #6
digital3.3

cool i will have to check that out for myself now. thanks for the info sarah.
Old 12-12-2002, 07:10 PM   #7
Jon777
Registered Member

Default HELP!!!!!

I want to change my interior lights too!!!!! I got get bulbs for my dome light Here They fit but they dont work. I have a 2002 mustang. Any way i can get them to work? What type of bulbs do i need to get? Where can i get them?
Jon777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2002, 07:45 PM   #8
Sarah
Registered Member

Default interior dome light

Hmmm Jon i'm not too sure what to tell you. Where abouts do you live? So the problem with the light you bought is that it only gives off a little bit right? It's really dim and hardly has any color right? Yah i did the same thing, i bought the exact same bulbs as you did the first time around and they were blue. My friend told me to to go the mall. The problem is that those bulbs are too big. The bulb that i got, which now works good is a little purple one and it's a tiny bit smaller than the ones that you have. I bought my from a local mall @ a little cart in the mall that has car parts and add ons and stuff like that. If you want me to get you one i most certainly can. The one i have is imported from Japan, it said Japan on the packaging and i could tell you the bulb size and etc if i still had it...The light i got was $10.
Old 12-12-2002, 08:26 PM   #9
Jon777
Registered Member

Sarah, I don't want to put you through that much trouble but thanks a lot for offering. On closer inspection i found out it was too large. WHat do I have to look for to make sure its the perfect size? It's barely larger then my reg bulb. This bulb's package didnt say anything about it. How large is a mustang bulb?

Last edited by Jon777; 12-12-2002 at 08:40 PM..
Old 12-13-2002, 02:17 AM   #10
Sarah
Registered Member

Default RE: interior dome light

Well honestly, i do now know the dimensions of the regular mustang bulb or the bulb that you do want to get. Just figure the one picture that i saw that you posted of the bulbs you have now, that the one you want is a tiny bit smaller than that. Did you buy the bulb online? I would say try to check local auto parts stores near you and if not then just do a search online for Japanese import parts for cars and search for an interior dome light, blacklight.
Old 12-13-2002, 03:15 AM   #11
MidNiteBlu 5.0
I got something to say

That sounds pretty does it actually make clothes glow like a black light does? The previous owner but a blue bulb in my dome light and it looks cool. All the people that get in my car always say something about it hehe.
1987 Toyota Pickup
Ricer Haters Club Member #33

Want a custom gauge cluster for your Vintage Mustang?
www.jmeenterprises.com
MidNiteBlu 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2002, 02:21 PM   #12
Sarah
Registered Member

Default dome light

Yah it most definetely looks cool. I think it makes clothes look the way a black light does, it's probably not as much as a regular black light does but it gives off some of that effect.
Old 12-13-2002, 03:12 PM   #13
Sarah
Registered Member

Default dome light

Ok guys i found the packaging my bulb came in....

This is what it says on the package; 12v10w, then it says "blue" 10 by 37 and for the "by" on the package it's a multiplication sign. But i couldn't type that out. cuz i don't have that key on my keyboard! Good luck!
Old 12-14-2002, 09:12 PM   #14
Jon777
Registered Member

ALright thnx alot. Ill see what i can find in the stores. O and you can just type "x" instead of "by". 10x37mm

Last edited by Jon777; 12-14-2002 at 09:28 PM..
Old 12-15-2002, 03:15 AM   #15
Sarah
Registered Member

Smile dome light

>>>"O and you can just type "x" instead of "by". 10x37mm "

Oooohhh duh! Please excuse my stupidity, it was finals week when i wrote that last week, very stressful semester coming to a close! Let me tell you!