MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Small Ponies
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 02-20-1999, 08:55 PM   #1
Ahren Ciotti
Registered Member

Default At least read me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey everybody I have an 87 LX 4 banger, and I have recently gotten the motor rebuilt. When they did it, they bored it out, and I have noticed a considerable horsepower increase. I was wondering what other (hopefully cheap) things I can do, or buy to quicken it up a bit. I was also wondering if my 2.3 has an intake silencer, and how to cheaply improve my intake thingy Thanks For Reading me, now reply Pleeeeeeeeease.
Ahren Ciotti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-1999, 09:25 AM   #2
PetesPonies
Registered Member

Without getting into the engine, there is very little you can do. The biggest bang for the buck would be changing the rear gears. This will make a noiceable difference. Figure about $300.

------------------
Pete's Ponies Mustang
RUSToration & Performance

PetesPonies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-1999, 02:31 AM   #3
LXer
Registered Member

I believe the 87's had a silencer between the filter and engine. It literally looks like an exhaust muffler but plastic, and it has "Ford" molded on the top. I replaced mine with a conical air filter setup, eliminating the filter box and silencer. (Mine is a '90.) I did this after I installed a dynomax dual exhaust from a v8 mustang with a custom Y-pipe. I have noticed that the engine does seem to rev a little free-er and it pulls further in the rpm range, although I had done these mods primarily for aesthetics and sound. My car is still pretty slow, so I concentrate on making it handle good, since it does have the advantage of not having a heavy V8 in the nose. I told myself I would replace the engine with something more substantial when it dies, but it is refusing to do so. It has 142,000 miles on it, but if I rev it to 3,000 and dump the clutch it still will smoke the tires!... well ok, tire.
LXer is offline   Reply With Quote