MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Small Ponies
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 06-15-1999, 03:00 PM   #1
dirtyhowi
Registered Member

Default looking at a 87 4banger

i am looking tonight at a 87 4 banger w/auto that has a slippage problem supposedly, the current owner was told that the "sprague (sp)" needed to be replaced, was the shop just pulling his leg or what, is this a term specific to stangs...i have searched my auto tranny book from school and cannot find reference to that, although they do reference the c1-c6 and a4ld tranny's and how they work. if it is the t/c slipping replacement is not a problem...but would kinda like to know if there is anything i should look out for in this particular year that might have been a catastrophic failure in the tranny's.. i.e. something that would require a complete rebuild of the tranny (again no big deal, but it might reduce the price some if i can convince him that it is necessary.)

tia
dirtyhowi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-1999, 01:50 AM   #2
Godslayer
Registered Member

You'd be surprised what a fluid cahnge can do sometimes =).

------------------
87 GT
3.73 gears
standard issue
goodies...
Godslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-1999, 10:35 AM   #3
dirtyhowi
Registered Member

went to look at the car last night, engine runs great. new alternator, rad, has one flat tire, but that's ok...when i checked the tranny fluid it appeared to be mercon fluid, it's labeled as being dexron II needed, having worked extensively with both i can tell the difference (actually they do smell different and are different shades, but it didnt' smell burnt)...it is the a4ld o/d tranny, and the tranny was low...will change the filter and add dexronII when i get it home tonight. should correct the problem im sure...car runs excellent like i said, i think it's a good deal. interior is rough, some surface rust and the paint is peeling...but in our environment paint don't last too long. thanks for the input...
Old 06-16-1999, 01:42 PM   #4
Unit 5302
Registered Member

A4LD is evil, eeeeeevvvvviiiiillll. I have taken them apart on three seperate occations, overhauled twice. It's probably the bands. Make damn sure it's got the right filter on it. I bought one 88 LX 2.3L auto from a guy for $350, it was the deal of a lifetime. Anyway, the guy had the filter changed at Fina and the dumbasses there put the wrong filter on it. The filter was for a Ranger with 2.3L and Auto. It caused slippage and eventually it didn't move at all. The filter had a neck on the pickup side that contacted the bottom of the transmission pan, thus no fluid got sucked up. Even though my dad and I were able to bend the flange back and drive it away from his house, the transmission failed shortly after. The guy has no clue about the "sprague."
Unit 5302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-1999, 02:07 PM   #5
dirtyhowi
Registered Member

i doubt it has ever been serviced so the filter is probably filthy, the fluid is old, and definatly low...will take some with me tonight when i go back...hmm...guess chrysler isnt' the only one with a bad 4 speed
Old 06-16-1999, 11:57 PM   #6
Unit 5302
Registered Member

If it hasn't been serviced, I'd change the fluid and put a new filter on it. You won't get the fluid out of the torque converter that way, but it's bound to help some anyway.
Unit 5302 is offline   Reply With Quote