MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Small Ponies
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 08-27-1999, 08:06 PM   #1
Trevor
Registered Member

Post more turbo swap questions

I am almost ready to swap the engine out of my 90 lx. I almost have the engine completely rebuilt. First of all, Jett in reply to my other post said that I didn't need the octane switch, all I had to do was to turn up/down the boost when I run different gas. How do I change the boost? Also when I leave things like that out of the wiring harness is it going to cause any problems with the computer and way the engine runs. To make the swap a little easier I was just going to unbolt the fuel injetion/intake manifold and set it of to the side while I installed the turbo engine and then bolt it on.(the original turbo manifold is slighly corroded but salvagable, but if i don't have to clean it up all the better plus one of the injectors has junk around the nozzle, who knows how well it works.) Are the two compatible, are the injectors the same and it might just be my imagination but the throttle bodys look different? I also need to know the pin numbers for the wiring harness, n/a pin number to 88 T.C computer pins. Any information or tips about the swap are greatly appriciated.
Trevor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-1999, 02:08 PM   #2
Jett
Registered Member

>I am almost ready to swap the engine out of >my 90 lx. I almost have the engine >completely rebuilt. First of all, Jett in >reply to my other post said that I didn't >need the octane switch, all I had to do was >to turn up/down the boost when I run >different gas. How do I change the boost?

Get a boost controller, $35-$500

>Also when I leave things like that out of >the wiring harness is is it going to cause >any problems with the computer and way the >engine runs.To make the swap a little >easier I was just going to unbolt the fuel >injetion/intake manifold and set it of to >the side while I installed the turbo engine >and then bolt it on.(the original turbo >manifold is slighly corroded but salvagable, >but if i don't have to clean it up all the >better plus one of the injectors has junk >around the nozzle, who knows how well it >works.) Are the two compatible, are the >injectors the same

The injectors are not the same and you must use the turbo injectors, everthing else like the fuel rail is the same, excluding the regulator.

and it might just be my
>imagination but the throttle bodys look >different? I also need to know the pin
Go ahead and switch out throttle bodies, the linkage is just a bit different.

>numbers for the wiring harness, n/a pin >number to 88 T.C computer pins. Any >information or tips about the swap are >greatly appriciated.

I will get these to you in just a bit.

Brad.

------------------
Brad
88lx 2.3T
www.turboford.org

Jett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-1999, 05:31 PM   #3
Trevor
Registered Member

thanks

I know this probably sounds kinda of stupid but what is a boost controller? Can I hook up the octane switch without too much trouble? It sounds and looks easier and not to mention cheaper.

------------------
1990 Lx convertible
Soon to be a Turbo Lx

[This message has been edited by Trevor (edited 08-28-1999).]
Old 08-28-1999, 08:39 PM   #4
Jett
Registered Member

A boost controller can be manually adjusted or electrically adjusted to adjust the opening and closing of the wastegate which in return increases/decreases boost (you can also make your own). This is much easier to setup and will gain better hp numbers and boost response. You should always use premium gas or else you will have one crappy engine (turbo wise).

------------------
Brad
88lx 2.3T
www.turboford.org

Old 08-29-1999, 10:49 AM   #5
Jett
Registered Member

Question

Trevor I need your e-mail address so I can send you the pictures of the wiring diagrams.

------------------
Brad
88lx 2.3T
www.turboford.org

Old 08-29-1999, 12:31 PM   #6
Jett
Registered Member

Trevor you are in the wrong message board, they don't know jack crap in there. U need to subscribe to the mail list, there are about 20 or so people in there that know what they are talking about.

Brad.

------------------
Brad
88lx 2.3T
www.turboford.org

Old 08-29-1999, 05:38 PM   #7
Trevor
Registered Member

Jett my email address is Trevjros@aol.com. Are you talking about the turboford mailing list i was signed up but when I disconected my internet for a while and lost my email. Besides i couldn't make sense out of anything it just seemed to be everybodys techboard posts that got emailed to me. But i am willing to sign back up if you can give me an idea of where to get the info.

[This message has been edited by Trevor (edited 08-29-1999).]
Old 08-29-1999, 05:45 PM   #8
Trevor
Registered Member

Jett I just signed back up how do i use it?