MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 11-04-2001, 05:20 PM   #1
9yellow3
Registered Member

Question strange idle until car gets to normal temp.

My 1993 5 liter has 132,000 miles and the more miles that I put on it the worse that it gets. When I start the car it idles a bit eradicaly, but only until the engine reaches its normal operating temp. I have noticed that if I turn off the car then start it again the idle returns to normal. Has any one had this kind of problem?
9yellow3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2001, 10:03 PM   #2
abesmith69
Registered Member

Yes I am having the same problem with my 1990 Mustang GT Convertible it has only 82000 miles on it and it idles until it warms up. Dont know what the problem is.
I thought maybe the timing but I dont know how to fix it.

------------------
1990 Mustang GT Convertible, Blue with Grey ground effects and white top. Black Leather interior pw,pl,ps,pm, premium sound system. All stock =(
abesmith69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2001, 02:09 AM   #3
2FastLX
The Photoshop Guru

I would start with the basic stuff.

Get yourself a can of TB cleaner or even carburetor cleaner then pull the EGR spacer and TB from the intake.

Remove the IAB from the TB and the EGR valve from the EGR spacer and hose the TB and spacer down with the cleaner while using small brass wire brushes to get everything cleaned out.

Then clean the EGR valve. Be careful not to damage anything and try to keep the cleaner off of the diaphram.

On the IAB I've heard it's not recommended to clean it, but I took mine apart and cleaned it anyway. I removed the motor from the housing and set it aside then got all the build up out of the housing with the cleaner and a blow gun and reassembled it.

When you get everything clean use some WD-40 to clean the residue off of the parts from the cleaner then blow them dry with compressed air.

Good luck.
2FastLX is offline   Reply With Quote