MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Small Ponies
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 03-06-2006, 03:55 PM   #1
ietrice
Registered Member

Default Please read this

Ok I have a 98 v6 mustang and I just put new gaskets on my driver side head. my car was shaking the first time I start it, and there’s a little bit of white smoke coming from the back side bye the # 6 cylinder. It smells like some thing burning and my car revs over 1 grand the check engine light is not on . The second time I start it, It was fine for a bit then did the same thing. Can you tell me what’s going on? Did I tighten the head bolts Wright? Or is the timing just off?, and or is the smoke just the new gaskets just burning in to place or some thing?

Thank you

Lawrence Davis a proud own of a 98 mustang.
ietrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 08:49 PM   #2
84LX89GT
Mustangs

Default Re: Please read this

First off, did you reuse the same spark plugs that were coolant fouled? It's likely they're covered in coolant, especially after removing the head. Also, coolant from a blown head gasket will get into the exhaust and it has to be burned out. Coolant on the block also takes some time to burn off and will have lots of smoke. What i would do is replace the spark plugs, top off the coolant and restart it with the radiator cap off. If bubbles are flying out of your radiator, something isn't sealed.
Did you have your heads surface milled so that they're completely flat? Did you check the flatness of the block (not as likely warped as the heads). It's very common especially after overheating/head gasket failure for aluminum heads to warp.
Did you use new head bolts? They're torque to yield so you can only use them once.
Also if the intake isn't sealed correctly it will cause coolant to get in the cylinders.
I'm not sure what procedure you used for replacing the heads so i'm asking every question i can think of

1980 Ford Thunderbird - 255 V8
ported heads, 5.0L ported stock headers, O.R. H-pipe and Flowmaster 2-chambers, dual roller timing chain
hi-po Mack Truck hood emblem

1985 Mustang GT 5.0L T5, F-303, GT40p, headers, off-road h, flowmasters, MSD stuff, etc.

Sold 02/06/04
1989 Mustang GT ET: 13.304@102.29 mph (5-24-03)

Sold - 1998 Mustang Cobra coupe, 1/4 mile - street tires: 13.843@103.41 (bone stock)
84LX89GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 02:27 AM   #3
ietrice
Registered Member

i didn't blow the head gasket.i had to tak it off to have the #6 spark plug hole retap.i stip the treads.thay did everything to it.coast me $114.i take a craper to the block.just to get it smoth off.i just take the vaule cover off and the rocker arms.so at this point im going back over and retorqueing the bolts.its raining so i hope i can finish tommoro.i didn't see coolant in the cylinder.(i think) but ill check tommoro.and no i didn't use new bolts.(damn!!)ill buy some. and my timing is off someone told me and thats way it shakeing. is that true? i haven't driven my car. so do you think that i don't have to buy a new head gasket.i just got the one i got on now(its $80 bucks)i hope not.and yeah it's funny,the smoke dose look like it was comeing from my headers.not the cylinder. is there any tell tell sighns that i should no that i have to replace my new gaskets?

and thanks for your help
Old 03-19-2006, 09:56 PM   #4
84LX89GT
Mustangs

Well if you removed the camshaft position sensor (in the hole where there used to be a distributor) then you'd need to retime the engine which you have to have a special ford synchonizer tool (it's a plastic cover that you slide on top before installing sensor). I would clean off your engine pretty good and let it run for awhile.
--Make sure there's no coolant on the spark plug electrodes (the part that goes into the engine) because that will cause a misfire. Also make sure there's no tears in the spark plug wires.
Are you sure you installed the spark plug wires back onto the correct cylinders? that's an easy mistake to make especially if the spark plug wires have been replaced with non-numbered wires.
Sometimes a miss will go away after warming the engine up and sending all the crud left in the engine out the exhaust. I would start it up with the radiator level topped off to the full mark. If coolant is flowing out quickly before it's even warm or you see lots of bubbles in the coolant for an extended period of time you have a problem. Also if it starts to overheat that's a good sign something is wrong. I believe on those engines you can install the head gasket wrong and block off coolant passages which will cause it to overheat if that happens.
Another thing i'd look at is since you had the intake manifold off, running rough could be a vacuum leak. If you hear a hissing noise from the intake that wasn't there before there might be one. An easy way to check is to spray small amounts of brake clean spray at where the intake mounts to the heads, between the upper/lower intake manifold and at vacuum lines. An easy way to tell if it is a vacuum leak is if it stops running rough when you bring the engine speed up from idle to about 2000 rpm.
Good luck

1980 Ford Thunderbird - 255 V8
ported heads, 5.0L ported stock headers, O.R. H-pipe and Flowmaster 2-chambers, dual roller timing chain
hi-po Mack Truck hood emblem

1985 Mustang GT 5.0L T5, F-303, GT40p, headers, off-road h, flowmasters, MSD stuff, etc.

Sold 02/06/04
1989 Mustang GT ET: 13.304@102.29 mph (5-24-03)

Sold - 1998 Mustang Cobra coupe, 1/4 mile - street tires: 13.843@103.41 (bone stock)
84LX89GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 07:54 PM   #5
ietrice
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84LX89GT
Well if you removed the camshaft position sensor (in the hole where there used to be a distributor) then you'd need to retime the engine which you have to have a special ford synchonizer tool (it's a plastic cover that you slide on top before installing sensor). I would clean off your engine pretty good and let it run for awhile.
--Make sure there's no coolant on the spark plug electrodes (the part that goes into the engine) because that will cause a misfire. Also make sure there's no tears in the spark plug wires.
Are you sure you installed the spark plug wires back onto the correct cylinders? that's an easy mistake to make especially if the spark plug wires have been replaced with non-numbered wires.
Sometimes a miss will go away after warming the engine up and sending all the crud left in the engine out the exhaust. I would start it up with the radiator level topped off to the full mark. If coolant is flowing out quickly before it's even warm or you see lots of bubbles in the coolant for an extended period of time you have a problem. Also if it starts to overheat that's a good sign something is wrong. I believe on those engines you can install the head gasket wrong and block off coolant passages which will cause it to overheat if that happens.
Another thing i'd look at is since you had the intake manifold off, running rough could be a vacuum leak. If you hear a hissing noise from the intake that wasn't there before there might be one. An easy way to check is to spray small amounts of brake clean spray at where the intake mounts to the heads, between the upper/lower intake manifold and at vacuum lines. An easy way to tell if it is a vacuum leak is if it stops running rough when you bring the engine speed up from idle to about 2000 rpm.
Good luck
yeah when I speed up to about 2000 rpm's it stops running rough. But it still sounds like I have a hole in my exhaust. I just got new value seals. I’m putting them on Tuesday some time. Do you think that's why I’m getting oil in my spark plugs. went over to my friends house and he sprayed it to see if there’s a leak. And we checked the compression of both cylinders. And both side reads 150. the last thing I can do and check is the value seals. and if what you say don't work or the value seals don't, then I’m just going to sell it. But it's hard to do. it’s my first stang. and I don’t want to part with it. But I don’t have that much knowledge, tools. Or money to take it to ford and have them fix it. this sucks.....
Old 03-20-2006, 07:59 PM   #6
ietrice
Registered Member

man is there like a car gods dance i can do to help me.