MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Classic Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 01-21-2002, 11:34 AM   #1
werked 66
Registered Member

Default wondering if anyone else had this problem

when i first purchased my mustang i had drum brakes all around. then i installed front power disc brakes . when i finished the job everything look fine but when i went to put the car down on all fours i noticed that the front wheels would not spin when i tried to spin them so i put the car back on jack stands i looked very careful at every detail until i noticed that the style of stock rims in the front were diffrent than the ones in the back so i swaped them front to back and back to front that took care of the problem now the wheel spins fine does anyone know if there where diffrent style rims for disc and drum also i was thinking of putting 16 x 7 american racing torq-thrust II on my car does anyone think that the problem i had with the stock rims my give me the same problem with these rims i realy appreciate any help on this subject also does anyone think i can go bigger without having to mod the wheel openings

thanks for the help

werked 66
werked 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2002, 12:12 PM   #2
7DMACH1
Registered Member

Back then Ford made different wheels for disc brakes. When you look up a wheel it asked if you had drum or disc brakes. If they don't ask then I would think they will work. RAY THE PARTS MGR.
7DMACH1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2002, 02:07 AM   #3
jwboner
Registered Member

The previous owner of my car didn't know a whole lot about cars and would have service stations do simple things for her. She had new tires put on the factory wheels and got back a set of exactly same tires all mounted on completely different wheels. They all had roughly the same back spacing, but some were riveted some were welded, and all were painted different colors on back side. It went many years before I noyiced when
I changed them. Hope this story helps some in that over the years most of the little details have been changed and on the 3 mustangs I have gotten they all had non-factory wheels.
65 fastback 347 DFI injected w/vic jr, TFS heads, MSD, cable clutch TKO, 3.70 9", tc subframe conns, custom traction bars, griffen alum radiator, armored fuel cell, and torq thrust D's Retrofitted Prelude seats. Vintage Air underdash kit. Fiberglass here and there too
More on the way all the time.
jwboner is offline   Reply With Quote