MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums

MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums (http://forums.mustangworks.com/index.php)
-   Small Ponies (http://forums.mustangworks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   3.8L 1984 Lx quick performance hints? (http://forums.mustangworks.com/showthread.php?t=48847)

JokerTAND 08-22-2006 11:02 PM

3.8L 1984 Lx quick performance hints?

I need some tips on improving my 1984 Mustang Lx's performance that is modestly cheap. Also If anybody knows I would like to convert the single exhaust into a dual exhaust system. Is this possible, and if so can I get some help with information on how? The mustang is a 3.8 liter V6 throttle boddie injected 232 cubic inch engine. Any tips will be usefull. Thanx

84LX89GT 09-06-2006 03:01 AM

Re: 3.8L 1984 Lx quick performance hints?

well the throttle body fuel injection sucks, plain and simple. if you modify the vehicle too much it will run like crap because it doesn't adapt well/quick enough and can't measure the actual incoming air.

If you add later model mustang headers you could probably convert V8 mustang h-pipe and cat-back exhaust to fit (stock or aftermarket). The number one thing i'd recommend is gears (like 3.73 or 4.10 to 1 gears). also make sure you have a rear sway bar and getting good rear control arms (upper and lower) will make handing/performance night and day.

Maybe using a dual snorkel air cleaner setup from a GT would help as hell as finding a larger throttle body from a V8 (assuming it flows more air).
An electric fan won't affect drivability and gives you something like 5 hp, also swapping/getting rid of the steel bumpers underneath the front and rear nose covers and replacing them with later model light weight bumpers or getting rid of them sheds ALOT of weight.

just a few things off the top of my head.

kpro86 01-19-2008 05:59 PM

first i have to say the throttle bottie injection v6s arent really worth modding. you would probably be better off doing an engine swap. i have an 86 v6 and that is probably what i am going to do. and about the exhaust i don't think there are any kits for the older v6s but if you can weld it shouldn't be to hard to make one up. if you can't weld you could probably find an exhaust shop that does good cheap work.

elianderson20071 09-23-2008 12:38 AM

I got a 1984 mustang gt #matching but its the 3.8 L 232 is this a rare mustang??

goodyear1984 10-01-2008 10:34 PM

not to burst ur bubble but u would be happier if u swaped to a v8 u can proll find a used 302 for a few hundred and a tranny for a few hundred.its just not worth wasting good money to mod a v6 and then a t-body v6.ur best bet would be finding a stang that got smashed and transfer everything to urs.

1984.mustang 05-27-2010 02:19 PM

hey i have a 1984 mustang 3.8l 232 T.B.I and i have bought tonz of parts and still doesnt want to start i have 2 new fuel pumps new timeing chain new alternater new injectors and much more but i thibk the problem is that its not getting any juice 2 the spark pulgz but iv changed the wires and i put a distreberur and i have put the moduel thing and still nothing im thinking that the rats got 2 it 4 sitting 4 a long time should i just buy the harnnes ?