MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Small Ponies
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 04-11-2005, 01:56 PM   #1
5star
Registered Member

Question ram air

i was recently considering adding ram air to my pony... i was just wondering (im not that bright when it comes to stuff like this)

1. how much horse power would it add?
2. can a turbo still be added, how about a supercharger?
3. i was thinking about making it custom, so would an other hood fit on a 2000 mustang (other than a mustang hood)?

much thanks to all who respond
5star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2005, 04:18 PM   #2
cliffloehr
Registered Member

Default Re: ram air

I too am thinking of how to do a ram-air system. I have a 2001 V6 and really like the Shaker hood scoop at http://www.classicdesignconcepts.com...splay/460.html but the price is way out of my league. As I understand it, the ram-air will only help increase H.P. around 50+ mph. However, any time you can get a free boost its worth it. My other thought is to funnel the air from the entire opening between the fog lights into a single 3” tube running up to the CAI system. This would require some sheet medal fabrication to make the funnel. The opening is about 24”x2.5” (60 sq”) and the 3” CAI system is 9.41sq” (about 6 times smaller) so… I feel cramming all that air down the throat of a mustang should do something!

Last edited by cliffloehr; 04-17-2005 at 04:35 PM..
cliffloehr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2005, 01:42 AM   #3
red95
Registered Member

Here's another idea http://www.mustangworld.com/ourpics/fcar/coldair.htm
red95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2005, 06:20 AM   #4
cliffloehr
Registered Member

I'll bet the PVC method would not work as well as it is hoped. I read an article (somewhere) stating that because the stock intake and the Cold Air Intake (CAI) get air from the same location it's really not a different temp. The benefits come more from the flat-round tubing providing an area where the air can settle down on it's way to the intake manifold. Making like a jet streem. Moving the air filter out to the fender provides are longer cool-down path for the air, but the stock airway (between the throttle body and the MAF) has a flexible chunk of plastic, full of deep ripples, wracking the air-flow just before entering the manifold... stupid design for a muscle car! If you also replace that piece of the plastic with PVC, the result would be much better. I installed the $38 CAI off ebay two weeks ago... while I had some problems with the seller, I am very happy with the result.

Getting back to ram air... The elbow in the CAI could be repositioned to point down and hooked into the ram-air system I was talking about last week (above)
cliffloehr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2005, 06:18 PM   #5
red95
Registered Member

Back in the day when I was growing up, people used clothes dryer hose to the front of their car (427 Thunderbolts)http://home.bresnan.net/~dazed/RamAir. If you go to Home Depot the gutter drain section has some end peices that could be used and also in the ac/heat ducting section. It would be better to spend $30 bucks experimenting first. Ram air really only helps at the upper rpms
red95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 09:48 AM   #6
reconman
Registered Member

Ram air is only needed if you plan on racing your car, otherwise your wasting your time and money. If money is not an issue there are hundreds of places to get ram air systems designed just for stangs.
reconman is offline   Reply With Quote