MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Small Ponies
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 12-31-1969, 07:00 PM   #1

Old 12-31-1969, 07:00 PM   #2

Old 09-24-1998, 02:27 PM   #3
hehhehmule
Registered Member

Default Ranger transfer case

I've got an 83 ranger 4X4 and the transfer case output shaft just snaped off at mthe u-joint. Would I be better off to get a new transfer case or try to replace the shaft. Is there a particular year or group of years I should be looking for or are they all pretty much interchangeable. Also it is a V-8 conversion truck is there an easy manual transmission equivalent that will handle the added torque? The 4cyl unit was surprisingly effective for more that 10 years. Thanks.
hehhehmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-1998, 11:39 AM   #4
Jim Keller
Registered Member

Well if it lasted ten years I would think you would be safe rebuilding yours, if you get a used one it may have problems that will crop up shortly after installation, you never know what its been through, a new one would be expensive compared to rebuilding the one you have with new output shaft and new bearings and seals.....but I'm in no way a 4X4 expert, only had two and neither ever had a problem.
Jim Keller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-1998, 11:39 AM   #5
Jim Keller
Registered Member

Well if it lasted ten years I would think you would be safe rebuilding yours, if you get a used one it may have problems that will crop up shortly after installation, you never know what its been through, a new one would be expensive compared to rebuilding the one you have with new output shaft and new bearings and seals.....but I'm in no way a 4X4 expert, only had two and neither ever had a problem.
Old 09-29-1998, 11:39 AM   #6
Jim Keller
Registered Member

Old 10-10-1998, 08:34 AM   #7
Dave1
Registered Member

Considering the age, the cheapest way would be to locate a used unit at a yard and bolt it in. The Yard can tell you what will interchange.

Dave1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-1998, 08:34 AM   #8
Dave1
Registered Member

Considering the age, the cheapest way would be to locate a used unit at a yard and bolt it in. The Yard can tell you what will interchange.

Old 10-10-1998, 08:34 AM   #9
Dave1
Registered Member

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: