MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Small Ponies
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 11-21-2000, 07:34 PM   #1
93snake
Registered Member

Post SVO mustang build up

Just wondering if anyone has ever done a build up on an SVO mustang. So far I have gone with a bigger turbo, XR4TI head (ported with larger valves), 65mm FMS TB and ported the stock intake. Have been thinking about the roller Ford cam but havent found anyone who has used one. Just wonder what mods other may have had luck with (good or bad) Thanks
93snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2001, 06:59 PM   #2
SVO1010
Registered Member

How much performance did you see with the XR4TI head? Any quarter mile times before and after?
SVO1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2001, 08:12 PM   #3
93snake
Registered Member

Yes, I picked up 3 full tenths over the other head (stock piece) but was later in the season (summer run then fall run i.e. better air maybe) so not sure of exact gain. One other note, running on slicks in the summer and switched to my drag radials in the fall... that too could make hurt times alittle, but I would have to say it was worth 2 tenths min. Hope this helps. doesnt seem like too may guys out there playing with these cars, so feel free to ask anything else
Old 02-04-2001, 08:31 PM   #4
Fostang
Registered Member

My dad and I are currently trying to gather some stuff to build an 84' SVO and are also looking for some goodies to put on it we've come to want a blow off valve for the turbo,a volvo intercooler,and a roller cam from a ranger but what type of turbo would be good too add on to it...more along the lines of me being able to find it off another not car and having to buy it new?? which one did you use 93 snake??
Fostang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2001, 08:36 PM   #5
93snake
Registered Member

I would use the turbo off a dodge daytona/shadow .... got one off a 2.5L motor, seems to work really good! But have heard of some guys having their stock turbo rebuilt to new specs... I havent tryed that (yet) but it is worth looking into. (and yes the roller conversion is a must!!) good luck!
Old 02-04-2001, 09:10 PM   #6
SVO1010
Registered Member

Lightbulb

Thanks for the reply Snake. I have a couple of other questions maybe you might know the answers. I haven't raced the SVO yet because I just bought it from my sister this fall. I havent messed with the turbo cars before. I have 5.0's that I race as a primary race cars, the SVO is my street car. I'm having a problem with boost, with the switch in regular position the car runs fine 9 PSI of boost but in the premium position it surges from 12 to 16 PSI real bad. If I ease into it, its not so bad but if I hammer it really surges. It feels like the wastegate is moving freely. I'm not sure what electronic device actually controlls the wastegate but it seems to me that this would be the culprit since it doesn't do it in regular position. I thought maybe it was to lean but the plugs look good. I didn't know if this might be a common problem with SVO's as they age or if mine is the only one. The other question is about the headlights got any suggestions on making them look like new again and not so yellow? Any ideas would be appreciated.
Thanks Jim
SVO1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2001, 10:10 PM   #7
93snake
Registered Member

Hey I will try my best... 5.0's EFI (and 5.8's EFI) my main ones here too ( nos, turbo, superchargers, so I learned alot the hard way! but I am willing to share my knowledge) ... but check the overboost sensor... my did the same thing when it failed (or was failing), and as for the headlights (this is an easy fix!)... same trick as the 87+up cars.... lightly buff the headlights... will get rid of the yellow, and make them look new again. Hope this helps!
Old 02-05-2001, 12:01 AM   #8
Fostang
Registered Member

Thanx for your reply 93 snake. I was also wondering what type of clutch would be a little easier on the drivers leg the one currently on it is rock solid..and the last thing is since we've been trying to remove drag from the engine we took the ac off and where wondering if a manual rack and pinion would fit in the stock location.well thanks again any help will be greatly appriciated.
Old 02-05-2001, 09:20 PM   #9
93snake
Registered Member

Yes a manual rack fits no problms! I used one from a '79 mustang, a simple bolt in. As for clutch, I am using a ram disk... but I think I used a ford pressure plate. Sorry but I dont remember.
Old 02-08-2001, 04:30 PM   #10
Fostang
Registered Member

Well all of the info has been helpful in our quest to make the SVO a real driver. The rack is on its way the clutch is in the garage but now we are trying to find what type of rangers carrie the head we are looking for to make it a roller.
Old 02-08-2001, 08:27 PM   #11
93snake
Registered Member

Ok... let me tell you this, I dont recomend the ranger head. You dont need the head to convert to roller follower set up. (I hope you know that) I use the '86 XR4TI head (my SVO is an 84 and the original head wasnt a good performer), I think it gives you the better performace than the stock head ( and is basicly the same as the ford motorsport head) Hope this helps
Old 02-09-2001, 07:45 PM   #12
outlaw9dar
Registered Member

Cool

Just to let you guys know, the roller cam will fit any 2.3 head. The only thing you need is the cam and the roller followers. Esslinger, Racer Walsh, and Race Engineering can hook you up on that stuff. They even have specialty parts just for hopping up turbo motors, like long rod kits, rebuilt turbo's, etc. Give 'em a shot.
outlaw9dar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2001, 03:37 PM   #13
93snake
Registered Member

Thanks for your help outlaw9dar, I already had learned this back in Nov (but still glad for the input)... but you are correct, expect the roller cam sprocket is also different than the non-roller 2.3L. I used Ranger roller followers and sprocket with the Ford Motorsport Camshaft. It was an easy conversion and made some more topend power! After having done it myself, I highly recomend it too everyone with a turbo 2.3. Again thanks
Old 02-11-2001, 06:01 PM   #14
Fostang
Registered Member

Angry

Well the manual rack came in took off the power one and for my dads dissapointment it was too short about 4 inches. We ordered it for an 84' svo manual. Any suggestion before we commit the hanus crime of installing a power one???
Old 02-11-2001, 08:24 PM   #15
93snake
Registered Member

Sounds like a problem, the only manuel SVO rack I have listed is for an 86... no 84 manuel listed. Check with the place you ordered it from and see if they have one listed for the 86... then see if its a different part# then the one you have. I will do some checking in the morning and leave you a post here tomorrow afternoon.
Old 02-12-2001, 06:02 PM   #16
Fostang
Registered Member

Lightbulb

well checked it out with the auto parts store. I asked for a manual rack for an 86' svo and it came back with non exsiting. Therefore we asked for a 79' stang and also non exsisting. It just asked wether regualar steering ratio or competition. Any suggestions ???
Old 02-12-2001, 08:02 PM   #17
93snake
Registered Member

Ok, I went do to Ford dealer today... first thing first, 85 1/2 and 86 SVO comp prep packages did have manuel racks, but ford no longer sells them. So I went by NAPA and asked them, they told me that they showed a TRW manuel rack for 86 SVO, but when they called to check on it, they were told it doesnt fit the SVO. My question to you is do you have a TRW rack? As a side point, my rack did come out of a '79 mustang (it might have been a capri, but it was a '79 for sure) but I dont remember it being to short or having to do anything "special" to make it fit. It was a bolt-on (as best as I remember and that was back in 93 or so when I up it on) Only thing I can think of is to measure my rack and/or see if I can find a part#. I will let you know...
Old 02-15-2001, 12:02 AM   #18
Fostang
Registered Member

Yes I do have a TRW rack. I haven't been able to find it. No one seems to carry a manual one. The closest I came to finding one is from a guy that told me that if I wanted to instal one I would need to change the tie rods or get and extension on the rack. Same in the 5.0 I dont know.
Old 02-15-2001, 06:16 PM   #19
93snake
Registered Member

Ok, have you tryed someone like flaming river... they know alot about this stuff... their website is: http://www.flaming-river.com/enter.htm might try to talk to someone and see if they can help.
Old 02-17-2001, 07:49 PM   #20
Fostang
Registered Member

Finally found what we needed on the rack. Now the problem is that when we went to start it back up the amp light wont turn off. We replaced the altenator and regulator. Both were gone. Light still doesnt shut off. What does anyone recomend we should do or check??