MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Small Ponies
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 09-30-2009, 07:51 AM   #1
komplex
Registered Member

Default Replaced clutch and have vibration in throwout bearing

I just finished replacing my clutch yesterday and was driving home and noticed a tapping coming from somewhere in the floor. I started the car up today and it was took me having to drive around for a few mins to warm up and it started again. The sound seems to start when I rev around 2000 to 3000 rpm and then I cannot hear it anymore, could be the engine drowning it out. The sound will go away if I push the clutch pedal in maybe .25 to .5". I would assume its pushing the throw out against the pressure plate fingers and stopping the vibrations. Tomorrow I am going to drive it around and put it up on stands to have a look and listen while someone revs it to see what it might be. I know I torque'd everything right, well hopefully... the haynes manual says gives two numbers like 45 to 55ft lbs so I will torque somewhere inbetween.

Maybe someone has experienced this or can tell me what to check out while I am under there to figure it out.
komplex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 08:36 AM   #2
my97cobra
Registered Member

Default Re: Replaced clutch and have vibration in throwout bearing

Quote:
Originally Posted by komplex View Post
I just finished replacing my clutch yesterday and was driving home and noticed a tapping coming from somewhere in the floor. I started the car up today and it was took me having to drive around for a few mins to warm up and it started again. The sound seems to start when I rev around 2000 to 3000 rpm and then I cannot hear it anymore, could be the engine drowning it out. The sound will go away if I push the clutch pedal in maybe .25 to .5". I would assume its pushing the throw out against the pressure plate fingers and stopping the vibrations. Tomorrow I am going to drive it around and put it up on stands to have a look and listen while someone revs it to see what it might be. I know I torque'd everything right, well hopefully... the haynes manual says gives two numbers like 45 to 55ft lbs so I will torque somewhere inbetween.

Maybe someone has experienced this or can tell me what to check out while I am under there to figure it out.
Here's what happened to me recently and still not fixed yet: I took my car to a shop to have them replace the clutch assembly. I provided all parts. 6 hrs labor they charged when originally quoted 2.5 to 3 hrs. Picked up the card and the clutch pedal rattles when in nuetral big time. They said it was due to the quadrant. Took it home, raised the car, put it on jack stands and removed the inspection cover on the tranny to look inside. The throwout bearing was not installed properly on the clutch fork. There are 2 retainer fingers on the fork that hold the bearing tight in place. They need to be on the inside of the bearing sleeve not outside like mine are which will let the clutch fork wobble. Now my pressure plate fingers are messed up along with the throwout bearing squealing (shot). What led me to this was I called RAM clutches and talked with a tech. He recommended looking inside the inspection cover whole and see if the throwout bearing grease was thrown around the inside of the trnny housing. Sure enough it was. He said it was due to improper bearing install which will cause the bearing to ride the fingers on the pressure plate constantly and it's not suppose to. He was right on the money. Now I'm fighting with the repair shop. Hope this helps!
my97cobra is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: