MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Small Ponies
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 02-02-2004, 09:32 PM   #1
Stang_Girl617
Registered Member

Default Shaking?

Hey guys,

When I bought my car.. the guy that owned the car before me (son of the salesman) had warped one of the rims... it hasnt really bothered me much until lately... I dont know why... its just seems to be getting worse or maybe its just my imagination. But recently I noticed the weight on the back passenger side was missing. Can this mess up the tire and how do I go about getting it replaced? and how much will it cost me?

Thanks guys!

2000 V6 Stang
so far only exaust and BBK CAI
Stang_Girl617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2004, 03:09 PM   #2
digital3.3

well if the wieght is missing that means the tire is most likely no longer balanced and that would contribute to the shaking. but i think a warped rim can't be good for the alignment of the front end after awhile though either.
Old 02-04-2004, 06:15 PM   #3
mustardjohn
Registered Member

Definitely need alignment and balance and tire rotation. Cost is less than $50 here. If you don't balance and rotate your tires about every 6,000 miles you will not get the tire life you should expect. Bad alignment can wear tires out in less than 500 miles when it gets bad. Usually this shows as tires wearing really bad on the edges. This has happened to me a couple of times. At $400 plus for a set of tires this is a bad thing.

I have had rims unwarped for $50. It is harder to find a place that will do that. In a fairly large town like Beaumont, Tx there is only one place that will do that and they are backed up so it takes a couple of weeks.

Don't think there is much sense in getting the alignment and balance until you have good rims.

Yes, alignment and rims can cause a number of strange handling and ride issues. They don't get better with time either. I expect you will notice your shaking getting worse over time if nothing is done.

Just my 2 cents
Old 02-04-2004, 06:24 PM   #4
Terrifson77
Registered Member

Hey Stang Girl,
Mustardjohn is right... I used to work for a tire shop and if one of the wheel weights fell off that can cause some serious shakes. Even a very small weight can make a big vibration. Have them balanced and the alignment checked as soon as you can. That should clear up some of your problems.

As far as the bent rim... Well, theres no way to straighten one of those cast aluminum rims that the new cars come with. I say if you can live with it, use it as an excuse to save up and get some new wheels

Jeff
Old 02-04-2004, 08:21 PM   #5
Stang_Girl617
Registered Member

Hey guys,
The warped rim, was caused by him getting to close to the curb and grinding the lip of the rim a tinsey bit...
never the less... can they put a new weight on the rim. a friend was telling me they could but they would have to put it on a machine and balance it right.... how much does that run for these days... im a poor college kid... however my car comes first!

anyways... thanks for the help guys!!!

2000 V6 Stang
Old 02-04-2004, 10:43 PM   #6
mustardjohn
Registered Member

Rim does not sound too bad. Yes they can rebalance the wheel. Get the tires rotated and balanced. Should be less than $50 maybe more like $29.95 if you call around to some tire places and tell them you want the tires rotated and balanced.

If that does not work you will need alignment which is still not but in $30-$50 range assuming they don't find some problem with the suspension.

Is it shaking in the front? How many miles on the car? Shake when you put on the brakes?
Old 02-05-2004, 08:13 PM   #7
Stang_Girl617
Registered Member

The car is a 2000 model and it has 29000 miles on it. The shaking is even to me a little in the front and back (weight missing in the back and both rims in the front warped.)

Called today To ask the guy how much he would charge me and he told me six dollars.
HAHA im dropping it off monday when i get back from atlanta!!

Thanks.

2000 V6 Stang
Old 02-06-2004, 05:39 PM   #8
mustardjohn
Registered Member

6 bucks!!! That is great. That must just be for one wheel. Do consider the rotation while you have it in the shop.

If it is for one wheel then my estimate of $29.95 for all four and rotation was about right incl tax.
Old 02-08-2004, 11:19 PM   #9
BLACK85GT
Registered Member

Have them balance all 4 wheels while you are there. sounds like you have multiple tires out of balance. Could also be the tires them selves sometimes though. You will find out once they put it on the balancer.
5.0, Holley heads, 1.7 Scorp Rockers, Stealth intake, Holley 600 carb, Holley Mech. Fuel pump, MSD 6Digital, MSD distributor, Hotchkis upper/lower rear control arms, FMS B Springs, 3:73 (8.8) rear.
Production # 9,377
BLACK85GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2004, 08:19 PM   #10
Stang_Girl617
Registered Member

I just had them rotated and balanced not to long ago when I had my oil changed but since then the weight has gone missing. I dont really think having them all balanced is necessary when they just did so not more than 2 months ago.

2000 V6 Stang
Old 02-10-2004, 06:45 PM   #11
mustardjohn
Registered Member

You didn't say that before. I agree. Please post and let us know if the shaking stops after rebalancing one wheel.
Old 02-11-2004, 09:05 PM   #12
Stang_Girl617
Registered Member

I hope it stops after one wheel being balanced... ifnot time for new rims hehehe... i realy just want new rims... but i cannot afford them... lol

2000 V6 Stang
Old 02-11-2004, 11:02 PM   #13
xxxBlakexxx
Registered Member

Smile

Maybe the tire place knocked the weight off on purpose so you would come back (lol).

Anyway, think of it this way. Have you even seen a celing fan wiggle when it is spinning? They get like this when they get dirty or bumped. Imagine what happens to a tire when it is not balanced. It can cause large amounts of vibration.

A sure sign of an unbalanced tire is that the vibration will start at a particluar speed and then go away, unless it is really bad.

If you don't balance the tire, the tread will get cupped and feathered if you drive on it for a while and you will have to replace the tire...and this means usually replacing at least two.

I think it is a good idea to balance tires every other rotation.

As far as the previous owner bumping the rims, they are probably fine. You need to smack a curb hard or hit a pot hole hard to warp a rim...especially with aluminum rims. Aluminum does not bend as much as steel.

For the other guys: Do you have to go to a special tire place to have weights mounted on the inside of the rims?

My Stang:
2000 Mustang GT Vert - Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter; C&L Plenum; BBK 75 mm TB; Steeda Strut Tower Supports; Black "Deep Dish" Bullet Wheels; FRPP 4.10's; Steeda Subframes; SLP Catback & SLP Catted X-Pipe; SCT 4 Position Chip with 3 custom tunes; Steeda CAI; Venom-1000 Nitrous; Roush Stage 3 Body Kit; Bullet Suspension Package (on the way)
xxxBlakexxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2004, 10:28 PM   #14
Orange97GTVert
Mustang Fanatic

Blake,

Most any tire shop can mount weights on the backside only if you tell them that is what you want. They just have to set the computer up so that it puts the correct amount of weight on the inside only. I have had some done that way in the past with no problems

Harold
Orange97GTVert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2004, 10:41 PM   #15
xxxBlakexxx
Registered Member

Harold:

Thanks. I never knew that. I thought is was some sort of crazy science that only a few places could do. Am I mental? I asked Firestone today while having one of my cars worked on and I asked them. They said the same thing. They did add that putting weights on both sides of the rim will generally get the best job done.

Thanks,

Blake

My Stang:
2000 Mustang GT Vert - Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter; C&L Plenum; BBK 75 mm TB; Steeda Strut Tower Supports; Black "Deep Dish" Bullet Wheels; FRPP 4.10's; Steeda Subframes; SLP Catback & SLP Catted X-Pipe; SCT 4 Position Chip with 3 custom tunes; Steeda CAI; Venom-1000 Nitrous; Roush Stage 3 Body Kit; Bullet Suspension Package (on the way)
Old 02-16-2004, 11:13 PM   #16
Orange97GTVert
Mustang Fanatic

Blake,

Just don't let them use Stick On weights. They don't stick worth a crap, except when you want to get them off, and they have to scrape them and it really screws up the inside of your rims.

Harold
Old 02-16-2004, 11:32 PM   #17
Orange97GTVert
Mustang Fanatic

Blake,

Maybe you can make StangGirl a good deal on your stockers when your black Bullitts come in!

Harold
Old 02-17-2004, 07:53 AM   #18
xxxBlakexxx
Registered Member

Harold (and anyone else who is listening):

I will definately be selling my stock wheels from my '00 GT if anyone wants them. I actually have FIVE of them and FOUR centercaps. When ready, I will post them in the appropriate place on this user group first and then hit ebay. Seems like I should offer my buds here first.

My Stang: