MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 03-02-2002, 12:18 AM   #1
1hot5.0
Registered Member

Default Car Shopping Advice

Hi all. I just turned 16. I am really into mustangs. I have to say, I think there the nicest cars on the road. Anyways, I just got a job, and am looking around at fox body stangs. I was wondering if there is anything special to look for when buying the car. Should I buy an already moded car? Or should I buy bone stock? Whats the advantages to each? What parts should I use (exhaust, airfilter, computer chip, etc.) I am getting a 5.0 and a 5 speed for sure. Thanks for your help all.

p.s. Im looking to spend around $5,000 I look forward to beating up on hondas and chevys.
1hot5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2002, 08:06 AM   #2
gtstang83
Registered Member

it's all a matter of what you like. take your time and you'll find one thats right for you. you might want to look for an early fox body (79-86 or so) to be your first mustang, as you can usually find one for a decent price and in good shape.
good luck
Old 03-02-2002, 08:38 AM   #3
Mustang_289
Registered Member

I would try to stick with 87-90 range, I've been reading lots of posts that 88 and ealier stangs are getting hard to get parts for.

If you buy a stock fox, you will have the satisfaction of creating your ride! There are many easy bolt-on mods you can do to enhance performance exhaust, underdrive pullies, K&N filter, removing the air silencer.
Mustang_289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2002, 12:05 PM   #4
1hot5.0
Registered Member

Thanks alot for all of your guys help. I found a 88 and a 91 fox ody 5.0's im going to go look at today. Ill let you all know my findings. Thanks again for all your help!
Old 03-05-2002, 07:18 PM   #5
mrbadong
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 1hot5.0
Thanks alot for all of your guys help. I found a 88 and a 91 fox ody 5.0's im going to go look at today. Ill let you all know my findings. Thanks again for all your help!
get the 91... its mass air. 88's and below were speed density.

ENGINE AND DRIVETRAIN:
Explorer Upper and Lower Intake, C & L 76mm Mass Air Meter, Aeromotive AFPR, 24lb Injectors, 155lph Fuel Pump, FRPP 65mm Throttle Body, Edelbrock 6037's, Crane Hardened Stock Length Pushrods, FRPP 1.6 Rockers, E303 Cam, FRPP Timing Chain, GDI 3-Row Radiator, BBK Shorty Headers, Pacesetter Off Road H-Pipe, Borla Pro-XS Stainless Mufflers, FRPP 3.55 Gears, KYB GR-2 Shocks and Struts, FRPP C Springs, 180* Thermostat, AOD to T5 Swap, B and M Ripper Shifter, FRPP Cobra Clutch, Summit Racing Adjustable Clutch Cable and Quadrant, FRPP Alum. Driveshaft, Race Systems Custom Burned Chip, Maier Racing 3" Cowl Hood, 17 x 9 Cobra R's, 245-45-17 (front), 275-40-17 (rear)

TRACK TIMES: 14.485 @ 96.134 MPH (WHEN I HAD AN INTAKE, GEARS, AND AOD ONLY... HAVEN'T BEEN TO THE TRACK WITH MY CURRENT MODS BUT WILL POST TIMES AS SOON AS I DO)

Last edited by mrbadong; 03-05-2002 at 10:38 PM..
mrbadong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2002, 09:25 PM   #6
306 BLUE GT
Registered Member

I agree....get an 89 to 93...you should be able to find one in your price range and in good condition. I bought my 89 GT in 1994 for $5000 w/ only 80,000 miles on it. After 8 years it has finally become the hulking machine it was meant to be.
Old 03-05-2002, 11:57 PM   #7
MidNiteBlu 5.0
I got something to say

I bought mine with the flowmasters, clutch, shifter, and k+n already on it. I think the guy i bought it from tried modding it himself and found out he didnt like it so bought a 93 that already had everything done to it (trick flow heads, full griggs racing suspension etc etc.) I bought mine for 4,700 with 96,xxx miles on it. It is my daily driver and i had to do some work too it (radiator, wires) but it is very dependable. I would suggest an '89 cause it is mass air and u dont have to deal with an airbag if u want to use a new steering wheel. Plus it tilts if u need that. Goodluck!

I am 17 by the way.

Later
1987 Toyota Pickup
Ricer Haters Club Member #33

Want a custom gauge cluster for your Vintage Mustang?
www.jmeenterprises.com
MidNiteBlu 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2002, 08:41 PM   #8
1hot5.0
Registered Member

Wow, you all have been so helpful thanks so much. I went and looked at those two cars and they were junk..... they were both autos I dont like autos. Plus, they both needed new engines, they both were just bodies, I wish they would've said that in the ads . Midnight Blue 5.0, have you been happy with your car? How much is your insurance if you dont mind me asking? Thanks again all, I'll keep you updated.....

1Hot5.0
Old 03-06-2002, 11:31 PM   #9
mrbadong
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 1hot5.0
Wow, you all have been so helpful thanks so much. I went and looked at those two cars and they were junk..... they were both autos I dont like autos. Plus, they both needed new engines, they both were just bodies, I wish they would've said that in the ads . Midnight Blue 5.0, have you been happy with your car? How much is your insurance if you dont mind me asking? Thanks again all, I'll keep you updated.....

1Hot5.0
i must have looked at over a dozen before i picked mine up.
i got it for $2400 from the orig. owner and it only had 83k
miles. keep looking and eventually you'll come across a good car for a good deal!

ENGINE AND DRIVETRAIN:
Explorer Upper and Lower Intake, C & L 76mm Mass Air Meter, Aeromotive AFPR, 24lb Injectors, 155lph Fuel Pump, FRPP 65mm Throttle Body, Edelbrock 6037's, Crane Hardened Stock Length Pushrods, FRPP 1.6 Rockers, E303 Cam, FRPP Timing Chain, GDI 3-Row Radiator, BBK Shorty Headers, Pacesetter Off Road H-Pipe, Borla Pro-XS Stainless Mufflers, FRPP 3.55 Gears, KYB GR-2 Shocks and Struts, FRPP C Springs, 180* Thermostat, AOD to T5 Swap, B and M Ripper Shifter, FRPP Cobra Clutch, Summit Racing Adjustable Clutch Cable and Quadrant, FRPP Alum. Driveshaft, Race Systems Custom Burned Chip, Maier Racing 3" Cowl Hood, 17 x 9 Cobra R's, 245-45-17 (front), 275-40-17 (rear)

TRACK TIMES: 14.485 @ 96.134 MPH (WHEN I HAD AN INTAKE, GEARS, AND AOD ONLY... HAVEN'T BEEN TO THE TRACK WITH MY CURRENT MODS BUT WILL POST TIMES AS SOON AS I DO)
mrbadong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2002, 12:58 AM   #10
MidNiteBlu 5.0
I got something to say

Hey man sorry i didnt come back earlier. I have been very happy with my car except for a couple problems. I had to replace the radiator soon after i bought the car but that was no big deal. It was leaking and the previous owner used some kind of sealant and the bottom got all gummed up so i just bought new one. My spark plug wires were original and were worn out. Whenever my car would sit in the rain or get wet it would have a hard time starting and once died coming out of my driveway. I bought the Ford Racing 9mm wires and that problem was solved i think i gained some power because it picks up alot better too. I think thats because my wires were probably messed. So far i love my car and i was amazed after driving it to school and parking in auto shop how many people came up to me and complimented me on my car. Some hot girls too lol The paint looks good from far away but up close kinda sucks but i am planning on getting it repainted after i add a cobra wing and a cobra r svo hood this summer hopefully. Goodluck on your search! O yea watch out for leaky rear main seals. This is a popular problem on 5.0's i have heard and mine is leaking too. Its not a huge problem as long as you keep watch of your oil level. I will need to get mine fixed soon but i had one shop qoute me at $400 because you have to pull the tranny. And i believe my insurance is about 2k a year. I havent had to pay insurance on this car yet.

Later,
Nick
1987 Toyota Pickup
Ricer Haters Club Member #33

Want a custom gauge cluster for your Vintage Mustang?
www.jmeenterprises.com
MidNiteBlu 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2002, 08:57 PM   #11
1hot5.0
Registered Member

Cool, thanks alot midnight blue 5.0. Im going to look around for a while, I still have to find a job Ill keep all of you updated on my findings, and I thank you all very much for your help, you all have been great.

Jason