MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Classic Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 01-29-2006, 11:08 AM   #1
RIDETHEWALRUS
Registered Member

Default A couple questions about the 69 Mustang

I just puchased a 1969 Mustang with the 200 ci 6cyl. There are a couple things I noticed and would like any advice you might have. This is my first 'stang so I am not sure if these are common problems or just things I need to put some money into.

1. The car has a tendency to drift. It feels more like an old caddillac than what i expected out of the mustang. Straight ahead it floats.

2. She has trouble catching first, I assume I just need a new clutch but am not sure if this is a common problem.

3. The brakes are also a bit soft. They either completely stop the car or they do nothing at all. I suspect it might be air in the brake line. Is this a frequent problem?

Thanks.

Last edited by RIDETHEWALRUS; 01-29-2006 at 01:38 PM..
RIDETHEWALRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 05:01 PM   #2
Phillyfanfrombirth
Registered Member

Default Re: A couple questions about the 69 Mustang

1. Make sure that the frame is solid... after that, it could just be worn suspension parts.

2. I don't have a problem putting the car in first unless I'm going too fast... if your doing 10 MPH or less, it shouldn't be a problem.

3. It sounds like air in the line, but to be sure, pull the hubs and push aside the rubber part of the wheel cylinder and peak inside, to make sure there is no leakage. If it is wet, it is time for new wheel cylinders. If this is the problem, though, your brake fluid level should show signs of depletion...

Now, my own personal routine on newly purchased vehicles...

1. Rust check... best done before you buy the car but a good double check never hurts, especially around the frame and floors...

2. pull hubs. Check all brakes and components... clean everything with brake cleaner.

3. Clean it up... clean up the engine compartment as well as possible. I just can't stand working on dirty engines covered in crud and sludge...

4. Check and replace ignition components as needed. Including points, plugs, and wires...

5. Clean carburetor as well as possible... I never do this and ignition components at the same time... in case of a problem, by limiting what you do between start ups, you can limit what the possibilities might be. If the Carburetor is worn and looks in need of a rebuild or replacement, this is the time to do it.

6. Filter patrol. Change the oil, air, and fuel filter...

7. Fluid check... antifreeze (check the cap and replace if necessary), power steering, transmission, and rear gears, and brake fluid...

8. Battery check... clean up the terminals and make sure that the hold down is in tact.

9. Suspension check... make sure everything is tight and the shocks are still working and not leaking.

10. I start on the detailing and odds and ends that every used vehicle will need...

Welcome to the club!!!
Phillyfanfrombirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 05:43 PM   #3
Gearhead999
Registered Member

1. Hey this is 35 years old. It isn't going to be "tight" like a new mustang. Also, lots of wear and tear on the steering and suspension components. Check the ball joints, bushings, tie rods [inner and outer], swaybar bushings, strut rod bushings and finally the steering box.

2. Check the clutch then the internal transmission shifting forks.

3. The brakes are probably in need of attention. Pull all the wheels, check everything. Replace all the hydraulic parts also the two front brake hoses and the one rear hose.

4. Lastly I agree with Phillyfanfrombirth. He has about it all covered.

Dave
1968 Cougar
2004 Thunderbird
2007 F150 Harley-Davidson, SuperCrew
1986 LTD
1997 Ranger
1992 Honda Civic

Last edited by Gearhead999; 02-03-2006 at 07:37 PM..
Gearhead999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 12:52 AM   #4
RIDETHEWALRUS
Registered Member

Thanks for the help. I had to bleed the brake lines and turns out the steering problem was just the tires needing balancing. I've never been happier to join a club. Driving my girl is a whole new euphoric experience.
RIDETHEWALRUS is offline   Reply With Quote