MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Small Ponies
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 03-29-2002, 05:14 PM   #1
pjc01
Registered Member

Default std. halogens vs. blue/white halogens

got some questions here about halogen bulbs :

1. aside from looking really unique, are there any merits to having the standard bulbs replaced w/ blue/white ones? do they really increase visibility.

2. is there a big difference with those halogens that say 'high visibility' than the OEM ones?

3. i've never tried changing my headlamp bulbs and i saw in the manual that there needs to be more tinkering done - do i have to have the headlamps aligned after i replace the bulbs and return the assembly?
Old 03-30-2002, 01:04 AM   #2
84LX89GT
Mustangs

Working at a dealership i see all sorts of things, one thing one don't want to do is buy bulbs that draw more amperage than stock. Ford runs as small a wire as they can get away with and if you increase the wattage of the bulbs, this increases amperage through the wires and can start melting connectors as well as the wires. So if you buy new bulbs make sure they're rated at the same Wattage, or if not, make appropriate repairs such as rewiring the light circuit (which it sounds like you really wouldn't want to do).

As for your question it's very debatable. In clear driving, blue itself is easier for the eye to see and as such when it reflect off objects at night it's easier for you to see and as a byproduct of this cops see you easier and can cite you unless the bulbs say 50 state legal on them.
A drawback to the blue/white bulbs is that stock halogen yellowish bulbs cut through fog better and less of it reflects back to you, this goes with snow as well. The stock bulbs are more of an "all-weather bulb".

When you replace the bulbs you don't have to have the housing re-aligned. the bulb is just in the back of the housing and there is a retainer that you turn counter-clockwise (counter-clockwise looking as if you were inside the engine compartment looking forward) in the back of the housing. All you have to do is loosen the retainer until it pops off and then pull on the connector to pull out the bulb and connector. Then you just pull off the connector from the bulb. Note before you remove the bulb or as you moving it out how the connector tab faces because there is 3 uneven spaced notches that the bulb slides into and getting the bulb back in can be a pain if you don't remember how it came out, normally though the connector tab on the bulb faces upward.
Good luck,

1980 Ford Thunderbird - 255 V8
ported heads, 5.0L ported stock headers, O.R. H-pipe and Flowmaster 2-chambers, dual roller timing chain
hi-po Mack Truck hood emblem

1985 Mustang GT 5.0L T5, F-303, GT40p, headers, off-road h, flowmasters, MSD stuff, etc.

Sold 02/06/04
1989 Mustang GT ET: 13.304@102.29 mph (5-24-03)

Sold - 1998 Mustang Cobra coupe, 1/4 mile - street tires: 13.843@103.41 (bone stock)
84LX89GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2002, 01:20 PM   #3
pjc01
Registered Member

thanks 84LX

i'll pass on the blue/white halogens if ever i decide to buy a replacement and get the high visibility standard/yellow ones instead.