MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Small Ponies
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 08-02-2002, 10:10 AM   #1
Bake
Registered Member

Default Dual Exhaust no h or x

Was wondering if it would increase performance if i put on dual exhaust, with cats but no mufflers and just ran strait pipes back from the cats. with no X pipe or H pipe, i ahve heard that this can cause minor backpressure problems but its nothing that will damage my car or degrade performance. just want to confirm this or make sure im not going to do something bad to my car by not having an x or an h. but from what i see. if my car has a y pipe anyways right now. the backpressure can only be better with 2 seperate pipes.
Bake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2002, 10:47 AM   #2
99Pony3.8
Registered Member

I wouldn't do it. Too little back pressure will destroy low end torque, making th car slower off the line. The car would also be extremely loud and would sound like crap (think rice burning piece of sh^t with a coffee can muffler, but worse). Plus, it's not legal in most states to drive on the road without mufflers of some type.
Old 08-02-2002, 10:57 AM   #3
Bake
Registered Member

I dont think it would sound that bad. Sam has his T-bird done like that, cept he has no cats or mufflers and his SC sounds amazing. and its falling apart and has like 1/4 Million KM on it. hmm. maybe i can get a cheap h made tho...
Old 08-02-2002, 11:05 AM   #4
Bake
Registered Member

also i guess the way i think of it is, that the two pipes are the same sioze and everything, with or without and H or an X so the same amount of air will be flowing back wether they are linked or not. so backpressure will be about the same. accept for the fact that they might not be exactly equal in each pipe. like with a h pipe. but maybe i can get whoever i go to o make my existing Y into an H pipe somehow...
Old 08-02-2002, 02:59 PM   #5
99Pony3.8
Registered Member

If you are going to do it, use the h-pipe. WIll improve performance over dual straight pipes. You want the exhaust pulses to be equal or you can lose performance.
Old 08-04-2002, 11:02 AM   #6
GodStang
College Stanger

I had a friend with duals but did not have the two pipes connecting. It sound JUST LIKE a Mercury outboard motor. Everytime I heard it I want to go fishing. I have a h-pipe sounds totally different and better.