MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Small Ponies
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 07-06-2002, 06:50 AM   #1
myboysride
Registered Member

Default newbee with a question

Hey all, Im new here and I have a question, we have a 84 stang with 3.8 V-6 and auto and air, the car is throttle body injected.

the car runs perfect 99% of the time but once in a while it will start missing and running like crap, it belches black smoke and seems to be running on 2 or 3 cylinders, this may last a few seconds or a few minutes, it will happen at different times and has no consistancy to it.

I have already replaced the following stuff: fuel filter,fuel pressure regulator,ignition module,cap,plugs,wires,rotor button,O2 sensors,timming chain,oil pump,main and rod bearings,180* thermostat.

anybody ever have this problem or know where I should look next, my boy really wants his car to be reliable. Please help me make it that way !!!
myboysride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2002, 09:40 AM   #2
GodStang
College Stanger

I am not too fimalliar on this car but you may need to do a hole engine rebuild. Are you burning oil? When my car was having fits I changed the Cam sensor. I am not sure if yours has one. Hope you get it fixed.
Old 08-16-2002, 03:35 AM   #3
98blueoval
Registered Member

not real familiar with the 86 model. from what you are descibing it is either something fuel related letting in to much fuel , or ignition related droping a few cyl's making it run rich..Black smoke is to much fuel or lack of juice to burn it..My .02
Need to check while it is having the problem if poss. Like checking to see if all the plugs are firing,look to see if excessive amount of fuel being dumped in the TB,,things like that..

85 Ram,.30 over 318,hedders,4BBL,duals,3.55 gear,shift kit,sunroof

77 Roadrunner,360,4BBL,hedders,alum. intake,shift kit,duals

86 CRX,Hedder,exhaust,sunroof,AR wheels
98blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote