MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Small Ponies
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 03-09-2003, 12:29 AM   #1
bari_09
Registered Member

Question Help! 2.3 to a 5.0?

I have a 1980 mustang with the 2.3 motor in it. It runs ok, but i want more bang if you know what i mean. I want to put a 5.0 in it, but i am not reallysure how to go about it. Do i have to get more stuff for the front end? What about tranny and rear end? My tranny is new, so i was hoping that it would bolt on. Any help would be cool.
bari_09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2003, 12:05 AM   #2
84LX89GT
Mustangs

First i'll start off by saying, buy a 5.0L mustang, it's MUCH cheaper than trying to convert a 2.3L unless you have a parts car or access to cheap parts.

That being said:

Every trans made for a 2.3L is too weak to stand up to a 5.0 under any kind of abuse or for any extended amount of time. the C3 automatic trans is an obsolute must to replace, older 4 cylinder T5's can be made to work, but have a low torque rating that they can stand up to: so basically, trans must be replaced.

Also, you'll have to replace:
Motor Mounts, switch to a 2 or 3 core radiator, hook up all applicable wiring and figure out how to make ignition system work (duraspark II you may need to change modules, but i'm not sure on that). You'll need also to rewire tachometer system (if you have a tach) and any miscellaneous wiring such as sensors for gauges. You can still run the stock 7.5" rear differential, but it's known to fail under any kind of abuse, plus it has the smaller drum brakes than an 8.8" rear would have.
Older 5.0L mustangs (up till '84) had the same braking system as the 4 cylinders and i can tell you from experience that is a VERY bad thing as you have alot more speed and weight to deal with. Also the 4 cylinder suspension is way softer than the 5.0L handling package suspension. At the very least whether you switch engines or not, buy a rear sway bar from a 5.0L and install it on your car, the handling increases by 10x.
That's all i can think of off the top of my head, i'd save up for a 5.0L or find a wrecked 2.3L turbo powered car such as a thunderbird turbo coupe, '83-'84 Turbo 2.3L mustang, '84-'86 mustang SVO or Merkur XR4Ti.

1980 Ford Thunderbird - 255 V8
ported heads, 5.0L ported stock headers, O.R. H-pipe and Flowmaster 2-chambers, dual roller timing chain
hi-po Mack Truck hood emblem

1985 Mustang GT 5.0L T5, F-303, GT40p, headers, off-road h, flowmasters, MSD stuff, etc.

Sold 02/06/04
1989 Mustang GT ET: 13.304@102.29 mph (5-24-03)

Sold - 1998 Mustang Cobra coupe, 1/4 mile - street tires: 13.843@103.41 (bone stock)
84LX89GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2003, 08:49 PM   #3
bari_09
Registered Member

I know it would be easyer to just go buy a 5.0, but my 2.3 was my first car, and i have alot of memorys, and i just love it to death. Now that the motor is about ready to go, i just thought, why not? I have a 302 already that was given to me from my father out of a pickup of his. It runs good, i just need to put it in something. I have another ride, and i was looking around for a project car, so i figured it would be a fun project to do this. I know it is gonna be hard work, but i know it will be well worth it in the end. I just need to figure out all the things i need to do and get. I have a 4 speed manual tranny in it right now, is that the one that i can hook up to the motor temperarly? All that info is gonna come in handy when i start the project. I am only 19, and i have car skills, but i never have done a whole car by myself before, so any other info you can throw at me would be great.
bari_09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2003, 11:46 PM   #4
Miss Mischief
Registered Member

Default Make it into a Pure strip Car

Quote:
Originally posted by bari_09
I know it would be easyer to just go buy a 5.0, but my 2.3 was my first car, and i have alot of memorys, and i just love it to death. Now that the motor is about ready to go, i just thought, why not? I have a 302 already that was given to me from my father out of a pickup of his. It runs good, i just need to put it in something. I have another ride, and i was looking around for a project car, so i figured it would be a fun project to do this. I know it is gonna be hard work, but i know it will be well worth it in the end. I just need to figure out all the things i need to do and get. I have a 4 speed manual tranny in it right now, is that the one that i can hook up to the motor temperarly? All that info is gonna come in handy when i start the project. I am only 19, and i have car skills, but i never have done a whole car by myself before, so any other info you can throw at me would be great.
There is Nothing Wrong with Dumping the 2.3L

And Moving up to a 5.0 but not only will It be a Long a complex change [as it was Building my 351]. You May find Buying yourself a 5.0 streetable car and Building the 2.3L into a Pure strip you will not run into the massive DMV and SMOG problems that I did.

RHC#153 Proud to carry the Card

2000 V-6 5 speed Frame Braces [Steeda] [Wanna be Cobra] 17" Rims with Kuhmo 245's 5 Spoke Gunmetal finish [Power Dyne] Blower Unpolished 6 psi {Mods to Come} [Steeda] Springs slightly lower then stock [Steeda] Anti sway bars front and rear.

1999 Jeep Cherokee Big six 5 speed Infinty Bose steroe Lots of Creatures Comforts [Mods] Brush/ Push bar Full length Welded and Bolted , Tow Hook Front and Rear 30" Goodyear AT's .
Miss Mischief is offline   Reply With Quote