MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Small Ponies
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 07-04-2000, 02:40 PM   #1
alhomer
Registered Member

Unhappy Clutch?

I have an '89 GT with 5 speed trans. and it is starting to get hard to change gears. Sometimes it takes 2 hands to force it into first and to pull it into second. At times I notice that the car wants to move when I have the clutch pushed in. Does that mean I have a bad clutch? I checked the cable and it is in good shape. I adjusted it by pulling up on the pedal and pushing it to the floor a few times. Didn't seem to make a difference. In the past I would have trouble changing from first to second at high RPM, it was like it was pinching and wouldn't let go until the RPMs dropped, now it wont let go or let me put it into gear, without great force. Could somebody let me know what is goin on? Thanks
alhomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2000, 07:17 PM   #2
Mr 5 0
Conservative Individualist

Lightbulb

In a parking lot, try putting the car in fourth gear and letting out the clutch (slowly) while giving it a little gas.
If the car stalls quickly, your clutch is probably O.K. If the engine revs up and doesn't stall when you do this, you probably have a worn clutch, which is what I suspect.
Mr 5 0 is offline   Reply With Quote