MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Small Ponies
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 09-14-2000, 05:02 PM   #1
physicusstang
Registered Member

Question Should I buy?

I am considering buying an 85 Mustang Hatchback 3.8L. It has been sitting under a tree for quite some time. The body is in good order, but I am not sure if there is any rust underneath the car. The gentlemen selling the car said that it was not running. He claims that the fuel pump was the culprit, but he changed it and it still didn't start. The engine looks good, but I am not sure of it's current condition. He is asking $250 for it. I have a limited amount of resources to fix the car. It seems like a good purchase, but I need some advice from people who know these cars better than I do! If anyone can help me out on this, I would appreciate your comments.

Thanks.
physicusstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2000, 10:13 PM   #2
Sac68
Registered Member

For use as a general transportation vehicle, no way! If it doesn't run don't consider.

For a pleasure car, hell yes. As a car to fix up and then drive on weekends a $250 POS Mustang is perfect (for me at least).
Sac68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2000, 11:15 PM   #3
eames2
Registered Member

I bought me 88 mustang hatchback for 250 but needed work cause it was wrecked. I have put less then 1000$ to have a car for whatever i desire. Of course i made it a street legal car. So if your looking for a kinda cheap but really need a car right now id say go for it. for all you know it could be as simple as a loose wire. But if you need a sourse of transportation now id say its top must trouble trying to fix.

eames2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2000, 08:52 AM   #4
Mr 5 0
Conservative Individualist

The price is right but I cannot advise buying a car - even a Mustang - that does not run.
If you have only limited resources this could be a giant loss as the engine or the transmission could be shot or the car may have other problems that you have no way of knowing with a non-operational vehicle.
Based on the information you supplied, I would advise a 'pass' on this one.
Mr 5 0 is offline   Reply With Quote