MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Small Ponies
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 09-18-2000, 05:59 PM   #1
Ellis
Registered Member

Post 2.3L Madness

I've seen a bunch of 4-banger questions here, and few answers. I am in the planning stages of a 2.3L Turbo buildup for a late '80s Mustang. This will be a largley custom setup, and will involve lots of work. But I think it's a worthwhile, although I often get asked why I don't just go the easy V8 route. I want to be different, that's why.

Anyway, I am currently looking at going with a sedan style for the added structureal stability. I have located a Merkur T-3 and short block. I am thinking of going to an intercooled hybrid turbo setup. It will get hooked up to a t-5 and utilize 3" single exhaust. I'll use a cowl hood to help move air in and out of the engine bay to keep things cool. The suspension will be set up to handle well on the curves, but be esily adjusted to see strip duty.

I'll be doing every bit of the work myself, including massive porting and massaging of the heads and intake/exhaust, and a purpose built engine. Maybe even a hand made SS tubular header. The goal is to have a dependable daily driver that gets over 20mpg in the city, handles very well on the road, and can walk a C-5 or a lightly modded SS or Cobra.

Anyone else doing something like this? Have hints or suggestions? Think I'm nuts? I'll try to keep updates here.
Ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2000, 08:31 PM   #2
Sac68
Registered Member

Ellis: I see where your coming from, and yes, it sounds like a worthwhile project. I too understand the need for good gas mileage! You should get WAY more than 20mpg with a turbo 2.3... more like 25 or 26, as long as you control yourself while commuting.

I don't have any real tips because I've never been involved in such a project... Although I've heard that turbo 2.3's also hold up to N2O well (a little extra 40hp at the track wouldn't hurt your cause). Most Mustang owners opt for V8 performance, not turbo I4's, that's why there is so little info on this site. Try a web search for "2.3 Mustangs" or something. Good luck, and let me know how it turns out!
Sac68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2000, 01:08 AM   #3
AllProtect
Registered Member

Cool

Ellis: I have a stock 85 SVO mustang. This car has the 2.3 turbo motor. The best gas mileage I get is 20 mpg. My best 1/4 mile has been 14.22 at 97 mph with 15psi of boost. If you need any help locating parts I can help. I have lots of SVO parts.
AllProtect is offline   Reply With Quote