MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Small Ponies
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 09-08-2000, 11:43 PM   #1
J.M
Registered Member

Red face new 2000 v6

For those of you thinking to purchase a 2000 v6 stang, expect a slow and heavy car. Gas mileage is good, but stock just lacks the speed to race up against the new v6 comaros and firebirds.

I can't wait until my warranty expires, cause I'm going to make a monster out of it.

Look out for the "black beast" in a few years.

If any of you have heard of any good projects accomplished with the new mustang v6, fill me in. I'd like to know what if any improvements were. (Tires, exhaust and turbo charger is a must for this one!)
J.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2000, 12:28 PM   #2
babeN-5.0
Registered Member

I hear that steeda or saleen has a kit for the v6's that will make it a strong competitor. hope this helps. www.steeda.com www.saleen.com. njoy.
babeN-5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2000, 12:04 PM   #3
Sac68
Registered Member

Really? All the magazines that tested it say that it smokes the new V-6 F-bodies with ease...

It has 190hp vs 200hp for the GMs, and the GMs weigh alot more too.

Have you run against any v6 F-Bods yet? You might be suprised.
Sac68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2000, 09:49 PM   #4
J.M
Registered Member

I have found that the problem with the 2000 mustangs is that most of it's weight is in the front. The tires surface area is not enough to gain a good initial start in a race. Comaros have wider tires and are a little heavier in the back, therefore, the weight along with greater tire surface area = better traction. As anyone knows the mustang's traction in pour, specailly on wet roads.

Keep something in mind....Power is not all it takes to win a race.

(Turbo charger, tires, exhaust, intercooler and flywheel are a must for this one)

LOOK OUT FOR THE BLACK BEAST!!!!

[This message has been edited by J.M (edited 09-11-2000).]

[This message has been edited by J.M (edited 09-11-2000).]
Old 09-12-2000, 12:13 PM   #5
Sac68
Registered Member

No offense, but it sounds like you need to work on your launch. If you're having trouble launching a V6 because of traction, you're doing something wrong.

And powers not everything (almost everything)... But being lighter is an ADVANTAGE, not a DISADVANTAGE (go ask some of the serious racers on here).

And one more thing: Why did you buy the Mustang then? If you like F-Bodies better why didn't you buy a V6 F-Bod (and if you want speed why did you buy a V6 in the first place)?
Old 09-12-2000, 12:15 PM   #6
Sac68
Registered Member

Oh yeah, and I hope you aren't racing on wet roads.

And don't the new Mustangs come with traction control anyway?
Old 09-12-2000, 10:29 PM   #7
J.M
Registered Member

Wink

Dude....You missed the whole point. First of all, I love my v6. I wouldn't go back if I had the chance. All I'm saying is that if you want to have some really good races with the stock v6, you are going to have to consider some mods.

My reason for bying the v6 was to make all those power monsters out there look bad when I smoke them off the tracks. I've always had a good laugh when I see modified six bangers take out some stock, high power eigth bangers.

LOOK OUT FOR THE BLACK BEAST!!!
Old 09-13-2000, 12:28 PM   #8
Sac68
Registered Member

I guess I see things differently than you.

I see I4 and V6 Mustangs differently: Sweet looking cars, with decent pickup, better gas mileage than a V8, and lower insurance. Perfect for someone like me, who needs a car that gets 25+ miles per gallon and can't pay insurance out the *** every month, buy wants something with acceptable acceleration, handling, and good looks. And I've loved Mustangs since I was 5 or 6.

If I could afford a car built for speed and only speed, I wouldn't consider a V6 or I4 Mustang (maybe an SVO or other factory turbo'd car), I'd probably buy a GT and have a car just as fast as a well modded V6 right from the start. A V8 vs a V6 with equal mods will win every time.

But I guess I understand where you're coming from... Taking the role of the "underdog" V6 and making it faster than a V8. Alot of people enjoy this (import scene with I4s) but its not my ballgame.
Old 11-09-2000, 11:57 PM   #9
99GTpony
Registered Member

yeah, about a year ago i was gonna buy a V6 stang but after test driving it nad the 99 cougar, the cougar was faster than the stang and a little cheaper to insure. i still have the cougar modded some and i can beat a V6 stang by a pretty good margin. I now have a 99 Mustang GT and my cougar, of course i drive the stang a lot more , but hte coog is a great v6 car.
99GTpony is offline   Reply With Quote