MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Small Ponies
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 07-05-2001, 06:34 PM   #1
paradox22
Registered Member

Question 3.6L or a new engine

i have a 3.8L and i want to juice it up. would it be cheper to buy buy a bigger engine are find profrmence parts for the 3.8L. i want more horsepower and speed

[This message has been edited by paradox22 (edited 07-05-2001).]
paradox22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2001, 08:07 PM   #2
Diddy
Registered Member

do you mean 3.8L ?
Diddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2001, 02:52 AM   #3
84stangLX

exactly HOW fast do you want to go. You can get V8 performance out of the V6, but it costs approximately as much as an engine swap to a 4.6L and it also depends on how much $$$ you can get the swap parts for. A popular setup from what i've heard is dual exhaust (many companies make dual exhaust conversions for the V6 and it's supposed to add like 15 horsepower), I've also heard of Pulleys (5hp?), and a supercharger will get you up to where the V8's are, but the car will weight less and as a result handle better with better suspension.
Here's an interesting site: http://www.kennybrown.com/38specialintro.html
I think a few companies make superchargers for the 3.8L.
You can also search the web for V6 mustang enthusiasts, i've actually browsed a few and found there's a lot of support for modding the 3.8L.
Although you may get ALOT of power out of a V6, a V6 will never sound like a V8 so you'll always have the V6 sound.
It all depends on how much you have to spend and what you really want out of your car.

------------------
'84 Mustang 5.0 LX
My car
Old 07-07-2001, 12:13 AM   #4
Laser Red Dennis
Registered Member

Arrow

Quote:
Originally posted by paradox22:
i have a 3.8L and i want to juice it up. would it be cheper to buy buy a bigger engine are find profrmence parts for the 3.8L. i want more horsepower and speed

[This message has been edited by paradox22 (edited 07-05-2001).]
One thing I found myself thinking was what year is your Mustang? I am no technical genius, but starting in 99, the Mustang got a big boost in power, up to 190, up from 150 or 160 depending on whom you believe, then to 194 in 2001. I wonder if you could swap one of those engines into yours (assuming it was pre 99 3.8 Liter), perhaps out of a Mustang that was totalled with damage to the rear. Just a thought---I just bought a 99 Mustang about a year ago, my first one!!!!

Laser Red Dennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2001, 11:08 AM   #5
GodStang
College Stanger

It all depends on how much money you want to spend and how much horsepower you want. If you go with bigger engine than you would most likly have to redo the suspioson. You could but a new 99-01 3.8L in but it involes alot of work. best luck with what ever you do. I would just buy a vortech Blower and get over 250 hp.

------------------
'94 V-6 Stang. MAC off-road h-pipe. Dual 2-chamber Flowmasters. K&N air filter. MAC underdrive pullies. Steeda Tri-Ax shifter.
GodStang is offline   Reply With Quote