MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Small Ponies
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 09-11-2001, 09:23 PM   #1
AHughes
Registered Member

Angry Belt Squeaking/Chirping - HELP

I have a 1997 Mustang (V-6 with 58,000 miles) and recently started hearing a squeaking/chirping noise coming from the belt area. It sounded like the water pump pulley so we replaced the water pump. That didn't fix it. Then we thought it was the tensioner pulley, replaced the entire tensioner, that didn't fix it. We then replaced the idler pulley, that wasn't it. We replaced the belt itself, no luck. We started the car without the belt on -- no noise. With a stethascope, the sound seems to be coming from the water pump area but since we put a new water pump on, we don't think that's the problem. Anyone have any clues as to what it could be? It is very loud and people are staring at me at stop lights. Plus, I'm tired of replacing parts that aren't broken. Any leads, additional information, or websites I should look at would help greatly.
AHughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2001, 09:43 PM   #2
mike_777
Registered Member

Hey,

I have an idea about your problem. Usually if the noise is loud it could be your alternator. Thats usually the first thing that goes bad anyways. Have it checked out at the parts store and check your ammeter if you have one. That would be my guess. Good luck.
Philip
mike_777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2001, 08:51 PM   #3
NeilBFormy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by AHughes:
I have a 1997 Mustang (V-6 with 58,000 miles) and recently started hearing a squeaking/chirping noise coming from the belt area. It sounded like the water pump pulley so we replaced the water pump. That didn't fix it. Then we thought it was the tensioner pulley, replaced the entire tensioner, that didn't fix it. We then replaced the idler pulley, that wasn't it. We replaced the belt itself, no luck. We started the car without the belt on -- no noise. With a stethascope, the sound seems to be coming from the water pump area but since we put a new water pump on, we don't think that's the problem. Anyone have any clues as to what it could be? It is very loud and people are staring at me at stop lights. Plus, I'm tired of replacing parts that aren't broken. Any leads, additional information, or websites I should look at would help greatly.
Is your A/C working ok? Mine was squeaking alot becuase of the compressor
NeilBFormy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2001, 08:19 PM   #4
AHughes
Registered Member

Hi! Thanks for your posts. Because the noise was getting worse, we once again tried starting it without the belt and found that it WAS still making the squeaking noise WITHOUT the belt. Nice to know $200 later! So at that point, we finally gave up and took my car in to the dealer. I just got it back and a wonderful Ford mechanic (a childhood friend of my brother-in-law) fixed the problem. Turns out it was the Cam Shaft Synchronizer that was squeaking so badly. The guy gave us the old synchronizer and we could hear the squeak just by hand-turning it! The mechanic said he's only seen that happen one other time on a mustang. We would have NEVER figured that one out! Thanks for your posts. It purrs like a kitten once again!!! Yahoo!!!
AHughes is offline   Reply With Quote