MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Small Ponies
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 04-27-2002, 07:46 PM   #1
digital3.3

Default 3.3 I6 to a 5.0 V8?

are the engine mounts of the 3.3 inline 6 in the right place to allow me to drop a 5.0L eight in the car?....if not does anyone know of any good upgrades that i can do to the inline 6?
Old 04-29-2002, 10:39 PM   #2
84LX89GT
Mustangs

No, unfortunately the 3.3L straight six (or 200 that is an ANCIENT engine) has a different crossmember altogether than the 4 cylinder and V8 models. you would have to pull the engine out, and unbolt the front crossmember and put one in from a donor car as well as the V8 motor mounts.

Here are some options:
hop up the 200 six you have or upgrade to a hard to find 250 six that came in some granadas, comets, mavericks?, and early trucks.
www.cliffordperformance.com has alot of stuff for straight sixes.

You can also bolt in a 300 straight-6 but you need 2 right side motor mounts from an earlier econoline van, but it will fit under the hood stock hood. This will also give 300 cubic inches to work with, and since the trucks have a rear sump pan it will bolt basically right in. I've heard that they can bolt in with the stock motor mounts, but they don't clear the hood by 2 inches, so you'd need to clearance the hood. I have more information about swapping a 300 in if you're interested because i had a 200 in an '83 zephyr (also a fox body) and was going to put a 300 in it. Also the 300 has i believe the same bellhousing bolt pattern as a 5.0L (not 100% sure on that) but i do know that earlier ones came with C4's which are easy to upgrade.

you could also swap the crossmember and go with a 5.0L and traditional transmissions.

Unfortunately the 200 family of engines have a horrible design flaw of having the intake manifold "log" welded to the cylinder head. It runs rich on the middle cylinders and lean on the outer ones and air distribution is bad as well. It would be hard to tune a supercharger or turbo on ones of those and adapters are needed to run anything more than the stock 1 barrel carburetor. The 250 straight sixes (which would bolt right in) have a larger intake manifold "log" and develop more torque, but basically in either instance, extensive modification would be necessary to justify even putting money into those low output engines.

If it were me this is what i'd do:
Find a crossmember and motor mounts, and swap in a 5.0 (or better yet a 5.8L Windsor), and a T5 manual transmission. 5.8L's are very easy to find, bolt right into where a 5.0L bolts, has the same bellhousing bolt pattern and uses the same oil pan, but you'd need a different intake manifold than a 5.0L (which wouldn't matter anyway if you're going to go out and get one, let alone modify it). Parts are very easy to find for this kind of swap and are pretty cost effective as well. with a 5.8L you wouldn't have to modify it much to have one heck of a tire-smoking hellraiser.
Good luck,

1980 Ford Thunderbird - 255 V8
ported heads, 5.0L ported stock headers, O.R. H-pipe and Flowmaster 2-chambers, dual roller timing chain
hi-po Mack Truck hood emblem

1985 Mustang GT 5.0L T5, F-303, GT40p, headers, off-road h, flowmasters, MSD stuff, etc.

Sold 02/06/04
1989 Mustang GT ET: 13.304@102.29 mph (5-24-03)

Sold - 1998 Mustang Cobra coupe, 1/4 mile - street tires: 13.843@103.41 (bone stock)
84LX89GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2002, 08:51 PM   #3
digital3.3

if you could give me more info on he 300 cu inch inline six that would be get. my dad has one in his F-150 and they thing is bloody strong. i would kinda like to keep 3.3 cause not many people here run it and i want to be different (whats the point of having a car just like everyone else). what would tranny and rear-end would i want to use? thank you for any info sent.