MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 10-22-2002, 03:12 PM   #1
RedCobra/95
Registered Member

Default I just Got a Novi 2000, what other stuff do I need, Please read, Thank U :)

Hello everyone,

I need some advice. I recently got a Novi 2000 w/ a powerpipe. I've been hearing mixed things about running a supercharger with my set up which is, 255lhp bbk fuel pump, adj fuel regulator, Alumi. elderbrock performer heads w/lock wire, 30lbs injectors, 80mm mass air, e303 cam, the cobra intake, aluminum radiator, longtubes. My question is, can I run the supercharger with the 8psi pulley it comes with, without anymore mods, or what else do I need? Plus, people at work be saying my engine is old and to be careful, I have 65,000 miles on my 1995 Cobra. They said I need to improve my bottom end, what does that really mean? Do they mean the crank and pistons. If so, I ain't got the money for awhile after buying the supercharger, will I be okay to still run my supercharger or can I change my pullley to a 6psi without hurting the Novi 2000 design. Somebody at work said if I put a 6psi pulley on my Novi 2000 it will hurt it. Any help will greatly be appreciated, I really don't want to hurt my motor, but I understand that superchargers will hurt my motor without the proper mods. But I want to run my SuperCharger soon, like a few months. Any advice what to do, to help me will greatly be appreciated. Thank you!!!
My so called Mods are: 30lbs Injectors, 80mm Pro-M, E303 cam, Aeromotive Adj. Fuel Regulator, ElderBrock Performer Alumi. Heads w/Locwire Gaskets, Alumi. Radiator, Alumi. Drive shaft, Mac LongTube headers, Bassani X-pipe w/cats, Bassani Quiet thunder mufflers. Steeda sport springs, KYB struts and shocks. Mac fenderwell induction system thing. Steeda Tri-ax short throw shifter and 3.73 Gears.
RedCobra/95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2002, 05:10 PM   #2
WADS56
gear banger

They are right you can't use it so you should sell it to me for cheap j/k.

First I would look at your fuel system. Your engine breaths good so the blower will make a huge leap in power causing your current fuel system to be maxed or close to it. At the least I would look into a inline pump with a set of 42#'s with the 6# pulley. Set the timing way back and maybe a colder plug. Because you have lockwire gaskets you will crack a piston, throw a rod, or worse if you go lean or detonate while at wot at 6000rpm unless you catch it.

I had a little A-trim on my 79(see sig) and at the time I only had a 225lph pump, 30#'s. I went through 5 sets of head gaskets that summer If I had lockwire gaskets I would of been picking up the peices off the track.

If you can I recomend a dyno tune before you put your foot in it.
Ricer hater's club member #49
WADS56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2002, 07:32 PM   #3
1995MGTS
Registered Member

It's all in the tune. Having the car properly tuned on a dyno (by a good tuner) can make or break your engine. I've been running an 8lb set-up making 400rwhp/386rwtq with a very conservative 11:1 air fuel ratio. That was with a wimpy BD-11A Powerdyne though. With the NOVI 2000, I would recommend an upgrade to 42# injectors to support the hp levels that blower and your car is capable of. I just went with 36# injectors with my new head unit and I don't think they will be enough without the fmu. Once the blower is on, I would recommend not getting on it until the car is on the dyno to find where you air-fuel is at. That way if the tune is off, you can avoid things like a blown head gasket or even worse. Good luck.
2003 Redfire Cobra #5978 of 8394
-Pro-5.0
-DC cai
-Steeda x-pipe w/cats
-Steeda cat-back
-Lightning pulley w/Afterburner
441rwhp/434rwtq SAE
1995MGTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2002, 09:47 PM   #4
andy669
Registered Member

That Novi2000 is a huge blower! If you do bolt it on, I wouldnt get in to the gas until its on the dyno. I think an old A or B trim, or a Novi1000 would serve you better, for what you want to do.

Andy

91 LX NMRA Pure Street 5120
andy669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2002, 07:59 PM   #5
RedCobra/95
Registered Member

Thank you all for the advice. So far you guys suggest a dyno tune, that I will do for sure. Plus, I don't have a timing retard ignition box thing or you know the MSD 6AL . That I need toget, huh? For sure! But are you all saying that my Loc-wire gaskets are overkill and my novi 2000 is overkill for what I want to do, I was hoping by buying a supercharger, I wouldn't have to upgrade anymore stuff and nothing more on the engine ???? All I want for my car is to kick some BUTT against the Ricers and Chevys. I guess the weakest link is my bottom end, for sure or I really just need toget dyno tuned and get a chip of some sort burned????? I appreciate all the help. I have posted this same thing to stangnet.com, they have really good advice like you all do. But some of them say I'll be okay, but I don't REALLY want to screw things up if you know what I mean. I just spent a few thousand dollars on a supercharger and now I can't use it? It makes me sad, and goes to show you how much I need to learn. But I really want to run my supercharger this summer. Thank you all for anymore help. P.S. Do I really need to buy bigger injectors, I just bought the 30lb injectors, am I going to be that lacking in the fuel department, ahhh man those ( NO OFFENSE TO PAXTON DIRECTLY ) darn people at paxton said I'll be okay with 30lbs injectors and the stuff I have on my car. I'm so sad now
My so called Mods are: 30lbs Injectors, 80mm Pro-M, E303 cam, Aeromotive Adj. Fuel Regulator, ElderBrock Performer Alumi. Heads w/Locwire Gaskets, Alumi. Radiator, Alumi. Drive shaft, Mac LongTube headers, Bassani X-pipe w/cats, Bassani Quiet thunder mufflers. Steeda sport springs, KYB struts and shocks. Mac fenderwell induction system thing. Steeda Tri-ax short throw shifter and 3.73 Gears.
RedCobra/95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2002, 03:47 PM   #6
88COBRA
STANGPOWER.COM

I think you bought too much blower for your car. You would be much happier with the 1K.

With the 2K you will need a complete fuel system, ignition, ect..

Why did you buy the 2K? How fast do you want to go?

Ian

My WebSites:
VortechPower.com - Brand new site for Vortech users!
NOVIPOWER.COM - Devoted to the performance of the NOVI supercharger
STANGPOWER.COM - A small community based in Canada for Mustangs
MORE WebSites Coming soon

PLEASE NOTE: I am not an affiliate (nor do I work for) any Mustang parts retailers - I create informational Mustang WebSites
88COBRA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2002, 05:47 PM   #7
chico
Registered Member

Default novi 2000

Allthe threads have offered good advice...especially the dyno tune.
Old 10-25-2002, 11:30 AM   #8
jim_howard_pdx
Registered Member

Cool

You can use the big blower if you want, after all, proportionally it is not that much bigger than what the rice burner 2,000 CC engines run to make 250-350 hp on their engines!

I do not think the 95 came with forged pistons. I do think you have forged and shot peened rods.

I would consider pulling the engine, and replacing the Pistons with no more than an 8.5 to 1 compression forged piston. Change all your bearings. Use a plasma moly top ring. I know they are for racing, but your blower will make that much cylinder pressure at part throttle!!!!!

YOU MUST RUN an MSD retard box on your blower. When the pressure comes in you want to retard the spark by 6-8 degrees. YOU WILL NEED COLDER PLUGS, they were designed for blown motors anyway.

You should expect 600+ horsepower with this blower when you are properly set up. Dyno time is very expensive. If you cannot afford running the right rings and pistons then this blower is probably NOT FOR YOU.

PLEASE talk to your local motorsport dealer/racers in your area. They have lots of experience with blown configurations. They may recommend you exchange what you have for a different system. I would follow the suggestions of people that race. They have the experience to back up their caution.

In my experience NOS fogger systems are a lot easier to run and create a lot fewer problems than high end blowers. If I were to strap on a blower, I would go with a Vortec system. This would put you in the 425-450 HP range which is ideal for a daily driver.

At least in my eyes!