MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Classic Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 08-27-2001, 09:02 PM   #1
rockyvi2
Registered Member

Question New 68 Mustang Owner

I just purchased a 1968 Mustang Coupe. It has the 200 6 cylinder with an automatic transmission. I am exploring the possibility of getting a rebuilt 289 or 302 to put in the car. First, is this possible? Second, will I need to change the transmission and rear end? Third if this can be done can you suggest somewhere in central or northern Virginia where I can find a rebuilt motor?
rockyvi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2001, 07:58 PM   #2
thunderbolt
Registered Member

Yup; you can do this swap. Someone recently (within the past month) asked pretty much this same question so I would advise you to look back in some of the older posts for those answeres. Basically, to do a 6 to 8 coversion right can be expensive and entail several parts. But several people have undertaken this task.
thunderbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2001, 03:59 PM   #3
amartin725
Registered Member

Many people have undertaken the task of upgrading from a 6 to an 8. When changing from a 6 to an 8, you need to change out the entire drivetrain, steering system, front end, cooling system, etc.. Many people recommend that you sell it and just buy a V8 car. However, a very strong point is made for just the opposite. If your going to restore the car and replace everything anyway, just replace the parts with V8 parts.

I have (and love) my 6 banger. However, having owned the car for 13 years, I know that most replacement and performance parts are geared towards V8 cars, so I've slowly collected the parts to upgrade the suspension and drivetrain to V8 specs while keeping my 6. Now, I'm currently in the process of build a new 6 that current drivetrain will not be able to handle, so I've forced myself to upgrade. It's going to be fun. For the time being, I've designed my own disk brake kit for my 4 lug wheels using an $50 Infiniti rotor and a $15 GM caliper so that I have at least some semblence of technology under there.

Anyway, what it really depends on are your resources, budget, and time. If you can find the parts and can do the work yourself, it's much cheaper than paying someone to do it for you.

Al
amartin725 is offline   Reply With Quote