MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Small Ponies
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 07-23-2002, 03:30 AM   #1
6 banger
Registered Member

Default knowledge is power

I was wondering what these things do...
These parts were suggested too me:
FRPP posi unit
FRPP Gear setthese are the only ones I have no idea about.

Other things are:
MAC Cold air intake
MAC Cat Backs
MAC shorty headers
MAC H pipes.

I wanted to know if any one had any experience with these and how they like them.
6 banger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2002, 06:01 AM   #2
PKRWUD

Those are the basics. The gear set is referring to the ring and pinion gears in your rear end, and the ratio at which they turn in relation to the driveshaft. The lower the gears (higher numerically), the quicker the rear tires spin, and the faster the car accelerates.

The posi reference is also regarding the rear end. A posi rear end is one that has a limited slip, meaning that as soon as the primarly driven wheel starts to spin (slip) , without the vehicle moving forward (smoking the tire), a series of clutch discs are centrifugally thrown together grabbing the non moving axle, and forcing it to spin too. The idea is that as soon as one tire starts to lose traction, the other becomes driven to help move the vehicle. Most stock rear ends (other than GT's) are only "one leggers", meaning that no matter what happens, only one axle will be driven.

The cold air intake simply locates an open element air filter in place of the air silencer inside the passenger side fender. This allows the air that goes into the engine to have less restriction, and to come from a cool, outside source, rather than the hot engine compartment. Cold air is denser, and carries more oxygen than warm air, and it is oxygen that mixes with the fuel to create the power.

The headers are a less restrictive set of exhaust manifolds. The easier the air enters the engine, and the exhaust leaves the engine, the more power you have.

The H pipe is the part of the exhaust that the headers bolt to, and that contains your catalytic convertors. Various aftermarket versions are availble that flow better than the stock H pipe.

Cat back refers to the rest of the exhaust, from the catalytic convertors to the tailpipes, including the mufflers. These too come from aftermarket companies with less restrictive designs.

Hope that helps!

Take care,
~Chris
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2002, 05:27 PM   #3
6 banger
Registered Member

Default THANKS

WOW, awsome, thanks alot. Do you have any suggestions on a place to get wheels and tires.
Old 07-24-2002, 05:04 AM   #4
PKRWUD

Where in California do you live?
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2002, 03:02 PM   #5
6 banger
Registered Member

Glendale
Old 07-24-2002, 04:43 PM   #6
GodStang
College Stanger

Yes we have our own car dictionay. Quick question what is the difference between shocks and struts. I know struts are two peices and shocks are one what else is there?
Old 07-25-2002, 03:26 AM   #7
sonic21
Registered Member

I found this:
All vehicles, cars, trucks etc. have springs that the vehicle rides on, whether it's a coil spring, leaf spring or even a tension bar. Most of the time there is one spring per wheel. With coil springs on the front of the car, the spring is between the upper and lower control arms. And to allow the spring to work, a shock absorber is installed in the center of the spring. It is connected to the frame on the top and the lower control arm on the bottom.

A car that has struts uses all the same components. The biggest difference is that on cars with shocks the spring and the shocks are separate. With struts the spring is mounted on top of the shock as one unit and is called a strut.

On this site:
http://www.cardogz.com/columns/auto/...998_08_31.html
Old 07-25-2002, 03:00 PM   #8
6 banger
Registered Member

Did removing your scilencer do anything? I'v heard it does and it dosen't. I would like to find out first hand.
Old 07-25-2002, 03:18 PM   #9
sonic21
Registered Member

I think it did, it seems to pick up a bit faster to me, but either way it's louder now, which I like
Old 07-25-2002, 08:37 PM   #10
GodStang
College Stanger

Go to home depot and spend $15 and make yourself a home made Cold Air Induction. Very noticeable in power.
Old 07-26-2002, 12:18 PM   #11
99Pony3.8
Registered Member

Godstang is on the right track. Get a K&N air filter and don't bother with the CAI. Home Depot made kits are OK because they are cheap, I would not spend the money on a CAI kit. The only thing they do is make the engine bay look pretty. The K&N filter that comes with the kit is the only part of a CAI that improves power. The rest is just eye candy. Get a mass air system instead for real HP gains. Check out C&L at http://www.cnlperformance.com/v6maf.html.
Old 08-16-2002, 02:24 AM   #12
98blueoval
Registered Member

Have any of you seen the dyno sheet on the new full lenth densecharger.. they are avail for the 99+ right now ..... acording to the dyno I'm waiting on them to be avail. for 94-98.....Is like 14rwhp...They are not the average metal tubes like others
98blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2002, 09:53 AM   #13
99Pony3.8
Registered Member

I've seen the pictures, but I would be skeptical of the numbers. The kit uses the stock Mass Air Sensor, which is the most restrictive part of the intake. Think of it like a funnel that limits how much air can flow. You can add huge tubes on either side of the MAS, but the stock MAS will still suffocate the intake. All the full kit adds is a plastic tube after the MAS that replaces the rubber hose that leads into the throttle body. I don't see how that would make that much of a difference. Get the C&L MAS instead, it is worth the money. If a kit uses the stock MAS, the K&N filter is the only performance enhancing part of the kit. The stock MAS will always be the bottleneck in the intake and will limit any improvement the kit will make.