MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Small Ponies
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 09-12-2002, 10:27 AM   #1
arivera
Registered Member

Default Converting to Dual Exhaust

I need some help. I am ready to convert my '97 V-6 3.8 pony to dual exhaust. I have heard conflicting information so I want opinions on whether I should go with dual Flowmasters or just a single Flowmaster with two exhaust pipes?

And if you could, please tell me why you recommend one over the other.

Also, if you recommend dual Flowmasters, should I go H or X pipe or just straight back?

Thanks....
'97 V-6 Stang: Custom Catback Exhaust System w/2 Flowmaster 40 series dual-chamber mufflers [True Dual Exhaust] w/ 3-1/2 inch tips, DenseCharger Cold Air Induction, Taylor 8mm Ignition Wires, PIAA hyperwhite headlights, Carbon Fiber Dash Bezel, Econ Front and rear drilled and slotted rotors.
arivera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2002, 10:54 AM   #2
tireburner163
It's a lot like a race car

Install a off-road H-pipe with a 2 /14" cat-back. I would suggest simply using a GT take-off cat-back.

1998 HD Electra Elide
tireburner163 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2002, 11:52 AM   #3
arivera
Registered Member

Thanks. My problem is that one guy sez if I install true dual exhaust, I'll lose low-end torque.
'97 V-6 Stang: Custom Catback Exhaust System w/2 Flowmaster 40 series dual-chamber mufflers [True Dual Exhaust] w/ 3-1/2 inch tips, DenseCharger Cold Air Induction, Taylor 8mm Ignition Wires, PIAA hyperwhite headlights, Carbon Fiber Dash Bezel, Econ Front and rear drilled and slotted rotors.
Old 09-12-2002, 08:44 PM   #4
GodStang
College Stanger

I have a 1994 V6 with MAC offroad H-pipe and 2- 2 1/2" flowmasters that are two chamber. I would do 2 1/2 instead of 2 1/4 because it flows better. Any bigger and you lose HP. I gained alot of HP and Torque (between 10-20 hp.) No one believes it is a V6. Took me 2 hrs to do it in my guarge with jack stands.

Do True duals with two mufflers. It is a complete 100% waste to do fake duals. I would go with a h-pipe for your year.

Hope this helps
Old 09-13-2002, 06:02 AM   #5
arivera
Registered Member

Thanks and I believe I will go with the true dual exhaust but what about the one guy who says I'll lose low-end torque? Is this true?
Old 09-13-2002, 02:45 PM   #6
GodStang
College Stanger

All I can say is I gained it. I can not promise that you will too but we both have the same engine and with my set up I gain both HP and torque.
Old 09-13-2002, 03:44 PM   #7
arivera
Registered Member

Okay thanks! This may sound stupid but what is the difference between 'true dual' and 'fake". I've heard the following different versions:

1) True dual has two cats, and two mufflers.
2) True dual only has one cat and two mufflers from the cat-back.
3) Fake dual only has one cat and two mufflers from the cat-back.
4) Fake fual has one muffler with two exhaust pipes.

HELP!

Old 09-13-2002, 05:56 PM   #8
GodStang
College Stanger

True dual on a mustang is any exhaust system that has 2 pipes all the way back. It can have no cats (off-road) or a million cats if you can fit them. They can cross into an x or an H or go stright back and never come together. The X-pipe and H-pipe help equalize pressure therefore creating more HP.

Fake would be a Y-pipe. It comes off each headers or exhasut manifold and goes into to one pipe all the way back to one out-let. Some people take the one muffler and when it comes out it branches into 2 tailpipes. That is fake. Some are one pipe all the way back and than spilt to 2 mufflers and 2 tail pipes. This is also fack.

In another words if each header/exhast manifold has its own pipe and muffler all the way back it is true duals even if it has Cats. If it is ever just one pipe no matter how many exits it is fake.

Hope this helps.
Old 09-15-2002, 11:14 PM   #9
Dark_5.0
Registered Member

If I were you I would go with 2 1/4 inch dual exhaust cause if you go with dual 2 1/2 inch you will lose torque.

My Cobra that came with 320HP and 317 torque stock, and it comes with 2 1/4 inch dual exhaust from the factory.

Enough said,

Last edited by Dark_5.0; 09-16-2002 at 08:52 AM..
Dark_5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2002, 11:00 PM   #10
bobbyrlg
Registered Member

Definitely do not go higher than 2 and 1/4 unless you plan on adding tons of hp. GT take-offs are the best bang for the buck for v6ers, you can get them for $130 shipped from midwest mustang. Also there is no need to add an h or x pipe in a v6 because of the fireing order. You can read about it at www.3.8mustang.com in the bolt ons forum.
bobbyrlg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2002, 08:37 AM   #11
arivera
Registered Member

I visited 3.8mustang.com. Like the site. Anyway, if I do go with a GT take-off, which is looking better every day, will I have to then get a GT style rear bumper?

Old 10-18-2002, 11:16 AM   #12
bobbyrlg
Registered Member

No you don't have to. There's a way to lower the pipes so they stick out under the stock v6 bumper, or you can make your own bumper cut outs. There's a webpage that shows you how to do it, if I can find it I'll post it for you.
bobbyrlg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2002, 08:09 AM   #13
GodStang
College Stanger

I have seen what bobby is taking about on the 99-02 v6's around here. Looks pretty good. If you do not know alot about mustangs you would never know.
Old 10-23-2002, 12:37 AM   #14
Extremestang

Bobbyrig wrote:
Also there is no need to add an h or x pipe in a v6 because of the fireing order. You can read about it at www.3.8mustang.com in the bolt ons forum.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for the compliment about 3.8mustang.com! I've been a moderator for them for a little over two years. Its nice to see the good input comin our way.

arivera,

The best set-up to use: 2.25 piping from the headers back. An off road h pipe will help, because you will not have any cats on your car. If you keep the cats and use an h pipe, it will only help for sound. Not power. If you want a little more from your conversion to duals, you could add a set of long tube headers sold by MAC products. Epect to see a little more torque coming from your pony. But Just converting to true duals, will probably get you around 8-10 rwhp maybe even a little less. Its a good mod for future supercharger or nitrous set ups if you plan on going that far. Hope i have helped you out and maybe i will see you on 3.8mustang.com sometime.

-1998 Ford Contour SVT #1199 of 6535
Bat y-pipe, Magnaflow Exhaust, MSDS headers, Bat intake tube, DMD, P/S & Alt Underdrives, Pro-M 75 mm MAF, K&N filter, Diablosport "tuned" Chip, Centerforce clutch, B&M short throw shifter and some suspension mods
http://www.3.8mustang.com/forum/atta...chmentid=24993
-Former Car: 1995 Ford Mustang
To many mods to list here..lost the car to Hurricane Isabel 9/18/03
http://www.3.8mustang.com/forum/atta...chmentid=23621
Extremestang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2002, 03:39 AM   #15
PKRWUD

arivera-
Just do whatever Extremestang tells you to. He used to be the V6 Mustang force to reckon with around here before moving to N.C. I've been wrenching for years, from NASCAR to IMCA, but I know V8's, not V6's. If I had any V6 questions, he's the man I'd go to. Trust me.

Extremestang-
Hey Brian, how the hell are ya? How's N.C. been treating you? We (Ventura) just got our first rain since last April a couple weeks ago. It was only a tenth of an inch, but you know what that does around here! The news channels were all on "StormWatch"! LOL.

So are you still coming back, or have the southern ways enticed you to stay?

I hope all is well with you and yours!

Take care,
~Chris
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2002, 08:32 AM   #16
arivera
Registered Member

Extremestang- Thanks for your input. Unfortunately, I will have to keep the cats on because I live in Virginia and we have emission tests done every two year. Also, am I to understand that no H pipe will give additional horses?

PKRWUD - How do I join the Rice Hater's Club?
Old 10-23-2002, 06:14 PM   #17
Extremestang

arivera wrote:
Also, am I to understand that no H pipe will give additional horses?
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just think of it this way, by adding true duals, you will see a little power gain. Unless you use an off-road h or x pipe, will you see a little bit more from that mod. If you are adding pipes from the cat back, the NON use of an H or X will not add more ponies to your car.

Pkrwd,

Long time no talk to Chris, i'm doing good. Thanks for all the great comments you gave, although i think you went a little overboard. I know a little about these v6's, but theres boards out there like www.3.8mustang.com and www.v6power.net that have alot of good info to put out about the v6 mustang. The newest issue MM&FF has some coverage of the v6 shootout that took place not long ago. Dan Haga has one of the fastest out there right now and there are several of us in the 13's. I think we are really starting to make a name for ourselves in the mustang community.

My daughter is getting so big, she's almost two years old! The family is doing good, we really miss Ventura, but i have to say that southern hospitality is great. Much better then the california way of life. And Weather here is great. When they say thunderstorms, they mean it. We went through one small hurricane while we have been here, that was crazy. Californians have no idea what real rain is.

Might come back in a year or so, depends on the Job market. Gots to go where i can afford it and cali is a little over priced. But i will drive back there some time soon. Gots to show off the new engine. I want the guys over at bottle blown racing to tune my new procharger set up. The stang is pushing 280hp a the wheels but i'm still trying to get the bugs out of it. Anyway Chris, thanks again for your gracious comments and i will put my .02 cents in about the Ventura raceway. Which is total crap, that place hosts everything. I still will never forget that bmx and skate show they had with some kick *** bands last year. Later Bud.

Bat y-pipe, Magnaflow Exhaust, MSDS headers, Bat intake tube, DMD, P/S & Alt Underdrives, Pro-M 75 mm MAF, K&N filter, Diablosport "tuned" Chip, Centerforce clutch, B&M short throw shifter and some suspension mods
Old 12-06-2002, 10:46 PM   #18
Extremestang

arivera,

Any news on your set-up? Haven't heard anything lately, just thought i'd ask.

Old 12-07-2002, 08:03 PM   #19
arivera
Registered Member

Oh yes. I went with the true-dual setup. Had them cut the 'Y' pipe behind the cats, install 2-1/4" pipe, 2 dual chamber flowmasters and stainless steel tips on the ends. Sounds grats and rusn better than before.