MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 05-09-2002, 02:44 PM   #1
Reipen
Registered Member

Default Pinging again, doh!

so i got a superchip to up the rpm at which i can shift.

Stupid computer wouldnt let me shift past 5400

Well the superchip worked and i shift at around 6 grand.

Problem is im starting to ping at my high rpms after 5 grand usually in 2nd and after 4-6k in 3rd.

Im curious because the guy who flashed/programed the chip (was powered by ford here in central florida), said i should set my timing at 10 degrees, bringing it down from the 14 it is at now. I run 93 octane all the time.

Was curious as to thoughts and ideas.
Reipen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2002, 03:29 PM   #2
briand
Registered Member

I use to have a hypertech module, and it stated to set timing to 10 deg. After installing it, it would ping on the top end, so i retarded it 1 deg or so and the pinging stopped. I guess every chip is different, but if they custom burnt this chip for you they should have gotten it right. good luck. oh yeah sometimes if you put a 180 deg stat that helps.
GT-40X heads(58cc), Cobra upper and lower, 75 mm Bullet, Moroso fenderwell induction, FRPP 65mm TB, 24# injectors, black magic electric fan, phenolic spacer, 1.7 crane cobra roller rockers, crane 2031, BBK 1 5/8 equal length hearders, 2.5 inch off road pipe, 2.5 flowmaster catback, FMS 3.55 gears, T5-Z transmission, FRPP aluminum driveshaft, svo heavy duty clutch, mcleod bullet proff bellhousing, BBK adjustable cluth quadrant, hurst billet shifter, lakewood subframes, BBK strut tower brace, BBK 2pt lower cross bar, FMS 190 lph fuel pump, crane ps91 coil, FMS street pulleys, and 300+ race wires. All thanks goes to my wife sheri, jason, jeff, robby, my dad and all others you helped contribute. most importantly GOD!!!
briand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2002, 06:23 PM   #3
gtsr515
Registered Member

Reipen, stock rev limit is 6250, what are your mods?
Old 05-10-2002, 04:13 AM   #4
PKRWUD

Okay, what am I missing? The guy that burned your chip told you to retard your timing back to 10 degrees. You're still at 14 degrees, and it pings.

Try retarding it back to 10 degrees.

Did I miss something on another thread?

Take care,
-Chris
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2002, 03:42 PM   #5
Reipen
Registered Member

Default i set it back

i set it back to 10 degrees. Do you think i should pull the battery wire for 24 hours and let the computer reset itself or anything like that. Im not very good when it comes to electrical problems with cars.
Reipen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2002, 07:40 PM   #6
PKRWUD

If it's still pinging with the timing set to 10 degrees, make sure your spark plug wires going to #5 & #6 aren't touching each other at all, from the cap all the way to the plugs.

The ECM doesn't require resetting after changing the timing. It does, however, require resetting after any sensor adjustment is made or installed. It's much easier to reset the ECM by disconnecting the negative battery cable, and then turning on the headlight switch (to drain the capacitors) for ten minutes, then reconnecting the battery cable.

It's quicker, too.

Take care,
-Chris
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote