MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Small Ponies
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 03-12-2002, 04:32 AM   #1
Jester4kicks
Registered Member

Question Getting ready to upgrade

Ok, after a very healthy tax return, I'm ready to have a little fun. I'm not going overboard since I want to leave at least SOME of my warranty intact. Right now I'm planning on tweaking the exhaust, pulleys, cold air induction, and a custom chip (since I'm in Denver and altitude is a consideration). I currently have a 2000 V6 and I love it, I just want some more kick

Here's where it gets tricky, I'm debating simply replacing my existing muffler with a flowmaster, or dualing out the exhaust. I'm also having trouble locating pulleys (steeda.com has something resembling a pulley but I've never seen anything else like it), and I can't find a cold air kit anywhere.

I'm looking for advice here, hopefully from others on the same path, or people who have already tweaked their 2000's.
Help!
Jester4kicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2002, 04:38 PM   #2
GodStang
College Stanger

MAC has pullies and Cold air. As far as exhaust I would go with tru duals it is worth it. Get a MAC h-pipe and than what ever exhaust system you want. Be careful if you go with a "dual exhaust set up" from like steeda and a couple other places cause it is crap. I am a big Steeda fan but there dual set up is cheap. You want to get a h-pipe. The MAC h-pipe sounds GREAT and ads alot of power. Hope this helps and if you have any more questions just ask.
Old 03-13-2002, 04:27 AM   #3
Jester4kicks
Registered Member

Unhappy ok, so....

Ok, I am admittedly new at this. So couple questions.

First, in regards to the exhaust, what's the difference between an h-pipe and a cat-back system? Should I be concerned about the effect on my catalytic converter with either system?

Second, I can't find underdrive pulleys on macs website, only thing I've found is a balancer/harmonizer from steeda, and it claims to add 8-10 hp. Am I missing something?

Lastly, the custom chip I'm gonna have burned, I'm optimistic about the results cause the shop owner has his own dyno and seems to know what he's doing. But if I have to send it in for service, will removing the chip abruptly have an adverse effect on the engine?

ok, so I'm clueless about this stuff, can anyone bring me up to speed?
Old 03-15-2002, 12:44 PM   #4
GodStang
College Stanger

I was wrong MAC does not have for your year car yet. As far as a Chip Unless you need it do not get it. I have heard from a million people that it did more harm than help. If you need it to fix something than get it, like if you have a new cam or blower. If you are heavly modified get it.
A h-pipe can have cats on it. If you get an off-road than it does not have Cats on it. You get better sound and more horsepower with out Cats. With the h-pipe from MAC you can use any aftermarket exhaust system with it.
If you have anymore questions please ask.
Old 03-15-2002, 12:48 PM   #5
99Pony3.8
Registered Member

Let me help by detailing a few mods I have made to my 99 V6. I went with the California Mustang dual exhaust set up. I think the price is now $220, but it comes with an almost new (20 miles or less) exhaust system taken off a GT and the H-pipe. THe H-pipe is required for max. HP when converting to a dual setup.

To answer your question about H-pipes and cat-backs, an H-pipe replaces the Y-pipe in your exhaust system. If you look under your pony, you will see the cats followed by a Y-pipe that takes the dual pipes from the cats and merges it into one pipe that then flows into 1 mufler and tail pipe. When an H-pipe is installed, the Y-pipe is cut off just after the cats. The H-pipe is welded into its place behind the cats and then flows into dual pipes and dual mufflers and tail pipes. As far as a cat-back system is concerned, it refers to any exhaust system that starts behind the cats. It is a violation of federal law to remove, modify, or replace a cat that is functioning normally. They can only be replaced if they fail. So, if you are to adhere to the law, you can only install a cat back system unless your cats are damaged.

I like the dual kit I installed. The car has more power and revs faster. It is worth the money.

As far as the cold-air kit goes, don't waste your money. All you are getting is a chrome tube with a K&N filter. CAI kits give no HP gain over the K&N filter. So, either save the money and get your own K&N filter or do what I did -- get a whole new mass-air kit. The Mac and other CAI kits use the stock mass air sensor (mas). The stock mas is the most restrictive part of the intake. So you get less restricion from the K&N filter, but the stock mas still restricts how much more air can flow. Look into the C&L Performance Mass Air kit. They reuse the stock mass air sensor electronics, but you get a new mass air sensor housing that is milled aluminum. They can also manipulate the calibration to give you a more rich or lean mixture. Instead of getting a custom chip, they could give you a recalibrated mass air tube to compensate for the altitude without you having to buy a mass air kit and a chip. Let them know your situation and they can advise on your best options. I have the C&L kit and swear by it. A CAI kit gives you 2-3 HP over stock (ironically the same HP gain as just a K&N filter over stock. Coincidence???) as opposed to a 6-9 HP gain with the C&L kit. Check it out before you make a decision on the CAI kit. It may not look as pretty, but it does work.

Here are the web addresses for the companies I mentioned:

California Mustang: www.cal-mustang.com
C&L Performance: www.cnlperformance.com

Hope that helps. E-mail me at russman17@netzero.net if you want more detailed info. It is very easy to destroy a car by making bad modifications, so I thoroughly research every thing I do to my car. So, I can provide a lot of good advise if you are interested.
Old 03-19-2002, 12:05 AM   #6
Jester4kicks
Registered Member

Question Alright, so here's the plan

Ok, so here's the game plan...

I'm going to be replaving my stock filter with a k&n high flow filter, installing a mac cold air intake, installing the steeda underdrive pulley/balancer (new for the V6), and Dual out the exhaust either with an h-pipe or an x-pipe with 2 chamber flowmasters.

My only remaining question, what is the performance/sound difference between an h-pipe and an x-pipe and will both fit onto my 2000 V6 with any other major modifications? Is either setup better?

I'm so close... help me out!
Old 03-19-2002, 12:59 PM   #7
GodStang
College Stanger

it is about a 3hp difference. pre 94 use a x-pipe. post 94 use a h-pipe. 99%of the sound comes from the mufflers. So sound is not much different.
Old 03-21-2002, 12:31 AM   #8
Jester4kicks
Registered Member

Arrow Ok, so to try and wrap this up

Last question(s)

First, is the 2000 v6's exhaust 2 1/2" or 2 1/4"? I want to keep it constant all the way through and I'm just trying to figure out what I've got and what is good.

Last, does the MAC cold air intake require a new mass air sensor, MAC says it just bolts right on. Little confused here.

Thanks Again everyone
Old 03-21-2002, 10:25 AM   #9
99Pony3.8
Registered Member

The Mac kit uses the stock mass air sensor. You have to remove it from the air filter housing. It then bolts to the pipes Mac supplies. If you look at pictures of the Mac kit, you will see an aluminum tube with a black box on the top in between the 2 chrome tubes Mac supplies. That is the stock MAS.
Old 03-21-2002, 10:56 AM   #10
GodStang
College Stanger

Excessive motorsports also sells Underdrive pullies for 99-02. Also 99ponj3.8 how in the world did you hook a GT exhaust up to a v-6. The gt is about 8 inches wider. If you have a shop bend it it weakens it. Also You will still have cats on them. A h-pipe/X-pipe with cats does not go well with a v-6. Good luck yall?
Old 03-21-2002, 11:34 AM   #11
99Pony3.8
Registered Member

For exhaust, I went with the California Mustang GT conversion for my V6. The y-pipe is cut just behind the cats, an H-pipe is welded in its place, and the stock GT exhaust is bolted to the H-pipe. Kit went in with no problems, no bending had to be done. The 99 and up Pony's have a slightly different exhaust set up than pre 99. The kit is awsome, power is up and the sound is deep and sounds great. I live in a city (Atlanta) that requires annual smog testing, so I can't mess with the cats.
Old 03-21-2002, 12:59 PM   #12
GodStang
College Stanger

i miss read what you typed. Ithought the h-pipe was from the GT. The h-pipe would be too wide. My exhast is mac hpipe bolts to headers and flowmaster 2.5 aftermarket catback systems for gts and cobras. got it from excessive motorsports. put the whole thing on in two hrs in my guarage.
Old 03-22-2002, 06:01 PM   #13
Jester4kicks
Registered Member

Exclamation First step is in the works

Ok, I'm going to have the exhaust professionaly installed, I got with a guy that did 2 of the mustangs at my work. We're going to cut the exhaust just after the cats, use the stock pipe for 1 side and fashion a new pipe for the other in h-pipe style, and finish it off with 2 chamber flowmasters.

He gave me the option of making a new pipe instead of using the stock for one side, he's going to cut the stock pipe before the muffler and right before the slight taiper that ford puts on the pipes. If I want a new pipe it'll add $100 to the install which is sitting right now at $525 parts and labor, is it really worth the new pipe? There's nothing wrong with the existing pipe and I don't want to increase the diameter.
Old 03-25-2002, 07:24 AM   #14
Jester4kicks
Registered Member

Post WOAH! Screw that guy

Alright, first guy I went to, for all new parts would be $625 for an h-pipe. I just got priced out for a new x-pipe with 2 chamber mufflers from another guy. He told me to buy the mufflers on my own. I did. All in all, it's going to come to $425.

$200 less for a better pipe and all new parts? MUUUUCH Better!

BTW, who can I order the C&L cold air kit from? And how hard is it to install?
Old 03-25-2002, 06:01 PM   #15
GodStang
College Stanger

Get a Muslce Mustang and Fast ford and look through there. Many people have them. I do not think it is very hard to install.
Old 03-29-2002, 11:31 PM   #16
Jester4kicks
Registered Member

Talking Oh Yeah!! Duffman is in the House!

Alright check it out, just had the work on my exhaust system done. Dualed it out, used a 2.25" h-pipe, got two 3 Chamber Flowmasters. My baby sounds great! Thanks everyone for all the help, I'll keep everyone updated when I get the cold air and underdrive pulley put in.

Word of advice. BrothersPerformance.com lists 2 chamber flowmasters for the 2000 V6's, the one they have listed was not the one I needed, when you call them, they inform you of this, and that the actual part is $10 more. Well worth it though!!

Take Care all
Old 03-31-2002, 07:07 PM   #17
mustang2000
Registered Member

i went to a proffesional muffler shop to maybe put dual exhaust on my car he said that i couldnt cause there is a chance it would cause vapor lock and that they already had to take one dual out from another V-6 mustang cause it was vapor locking is there a way to go around that problem i am thinking about side exhaust but i think it is illegal in colorado i have a 2000 V-6 mustang anyways u can post here or email me at Corypeele@aol.com
mustang2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2002, 09:31 PM   #18
GodStang
College Stanger

That is the biggest bunch of BS I ever heard. They just do a bad job and that is why they had problems. Do not get a shop to bend pipes. It comes out bad. With side exhaust you lose horsepower because I the extra bend. If you want it for looks that do it. If you want it for increase HP. do not do sides.
Old 03-31-2002, 10:19 PM   #19
mustang2000
Registered Member

well i think steeda made the side exhaust that gives u up to 20 more hp if what they say is correct but what they said was if they were they wouldnt have much room between the exhaust pipe and the fuel line
mustang2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2002, 06:00 PM   #20
Cobra1318
Registered Member

I have a 2002 v6 and was also thinking about duals. I'm not sure if I want the gt exhaust system from California Mustang or some flowmasters. If i decide to go with the flowmasters, I'd want Delta Force 40s. What else would I need to complete this system and about how much would it cost?
Cobra1318 is offline   Reply With Quote