MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Small Ponies
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 06-01-2001, 12:38 PM   #1
swifter
Registered Member

Post CRUISE CONTROL 1988 FUEL INJECTED 4CYL

IF ANYONES WORKED ON THE CRUISE BEFORE I COULD USE ANY INFO ? EVERYTHING SEEMS TO BE IN PLACE,ITS GOT TO BE SOMETHING SMALL I,M MISSING THANK YOU SWIFTER
swifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2001, 04:13 PM   #2
PNYXPS66
Registered Member

Question

Could you explain your problem?

------------------
Pony Express 66
God Speed and keep it between the lines!
PNYXPS66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2001, 12:19 PM   #3
swifter
Registered Member

thanks for your concern.The cruise control just plan dosen't work! I've checked the fuses ,they look good.I doen't know anything about how it works! I've got a haynes manual there's nothing in it about cruise control,if I had some troubleshooting info maybe it's something I could fix at home.If you know of any thing to check it would be appreciated.
Old 06-04-2001, 08:30 PM   #4
ted blackstone
Registered Member

the first thing i would tell you is check for a vacum leak the lines will run under the drivers side fender check them for cracks

------------------
84GT with SVO suspension 87-93 ground effects tail lights and rear spoiler converted to EFI
ted blackstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2001, 10:22 PM   #5
swifter
Registered Member

Question

I doen't see any problems with the vacum lines.I'm thinking electrical, should it do anything,or should I be able to hear anything at the wheel when I push the buttons?
Old 06-15-2001, 10:11 PM   #6
PNYXPS66
Registered Member

Cool

Ok, if the vacuum lines are fine, you may have an electrical problem. You shouldn't hear anything except a click from the button when you press it -- like pressing a momentary switch. If you know how to read a wiring diagram, you can get an idea of what modules are involved in the cruise control. The Haynes manual you have has about the best wiring diagrams available in an over the counter manual. I've used the same book in my endeavours. The 88 (I think including 87-92) mustang had a recall on them regarding a potential short in the steering column with the ignition switch. A specific wire from the ignition switch had the potential to short, over heat, and spontaneously combust into flames whether or not the car was on. Your local FORD dealer can enter the VIN of your car and see if your car has been fixed. If not, it's a simple wire replacement and the procedure is done by the dealership free of charge; providing they have the replacement wire, it'd take about an hour or two to complete. CHECK IT OUT! I have the same vehicle, and ever since I had the wire replacement, I have had trouble with my cruise control sometimes working and sometimes not. I've isolated this to a wiring problem in the column that could be related to the recall. It also affected my horn which shorted and blared continuously while my wife was driving it until the wire was disconnected from the horn; I'm still hearing about that one, ha ha! If the wire in question burned out and also burned a wire for the cruise control, that may be the problem. Check the column wiring harness carefully for a shorted wire or burned insulation. You can usually smell the insulation; if it's burned, it will have the clearly distinctive smell of burning plastic. Feel the length of each wire if possible for bumps. If you find one, check the insulation to see if the insulation follows the bump, or looks "swolen" in the bumpy spot. If it is swolen, you probably have a short in that wire. Check the spot for continuity with a multimeter. If you get no resistance the wire is probably good in that spot(remember resistance = heat = potential short), continue checking each wire for shorts. Remember that your wiring diagrams will tell you color codes and show you which wire goes where. Hope this helps, I'll be watching to see if you solve your problem. Good luck.

------------------
Pony Express 66
God Speed and keep it between the lines!
PNYXPS66 is offline   Reply With Quote