MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Classic Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 05-12-2001, 05:20 PM   #1
Eleanor
Registered Member

Post 289 in-depth specifications

hey guys, i just picked up a 67 fastback w/ a 289 2-valve and i'm looking for some original engine specs such as valve diameter, casting numbers, OEM cam specs, and so on...being a former fox-body fiend i have a plethora of info on the 79-93s, but am having trouble finding a lot of info on the classics. any help would be greatly appreciated! thanks in advance

------------------
...soon to be modified '67 fastback...

- speed safe -
Eleanor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2001, 08:26 PM   #2
Power
Registered Member

http://www.vintage-mustang.com/
http://www.fomoco.com

Just a couple......hope they help.

------------------
1966 Baby blue Coupe, 289, Manual 3-speed, Edelbrock 650, Flowmaster 3-chambers, and minor upgrades. Interior work includes custom paneling, custom dash dress-up(I refuse to cut anything out of the original), Rewiring most of the electronics, Porsche 911 seats installed soon, and Stroker kit when I get to Texas. November of 2001 I will go back to Dallas.
Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2001, 08:46 PM   #3
Fostang
Registered Member

Congratulations on your purchase. I love the 67' Fastback. Thats probably why I've got one . What's the in side on the stang? color, auto or manual, interior color, give me some info.

------------------
67'fastback-Edelbrock carb,intake,cam,valve springs.Rhode lifters, CompCam rocker arms, windage tray,cerama coated headers,dual flows with H-pipe, modded c-4,tci stall converter,perma cool electric fan,aluminum water pump,griffen aluminum radiator,accel 8.8 cable,wide cap distriburator,magnetic pick up,v-matic hurst shifter,edelbrock performer nitrous, carter electric fuel pump,ignitor coil,solid motor mounts,magna racing suspension,poly urathane bushings,under rider traction bars, comp. eng. s
Fostang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2001, 12:57 AM   #4
Eleanor
Registered Member

thanks Power! the fomoco page has ALL the info i was looking for...even the cam specs! ...definately a page i'm bookmarking

ok Fostang, here's the low-down...

it's black w/ white rocker stripes and it has black interior. the original 289 2V has only 130K on the ticker and it's never been rebuilt, the C4 was rebuilt once back in 82 and a (i was told) a shift kit was installed. the previous owner has had it since '77 and he restored it in '78 as a graduation present for his son. he replaced all fenders w/ ford originals except for the pass. rear, which is showing some paint bubbly around the flare lip, when he redid the driv. rear he patched a minor hole in the trunk with some bondo, smoothed it out...came out nice. he replaced the driv. front frame rail due to rot and the pass. front rail has a small hole on the top due to battery acid leak-down (i'll just replace it). there is some paint bubbly on the rocker panels on both side right about where the stripes are and the pass. front rubber drain plug had rotted out so i'll have to weld a new panel in, and the bumpers are just starting to pit a little. other than that it needs a new carpet and dashpad. he did upgrade it to the deluxe interior w/ the aluminum trimmings except it's showing it's age, so that's another project instore. he added the lower console and put in a new shifter quadrant w/ a shelby T-bar wooden shifter handle. he has the overhead console, but never installed it. he had threw on the GTA badges and tried to pass it off as one to me but he forgot to take off the regular 289 badges and forgot that the GTA came standard with a 289 4V with no option of the 2V...so i got it for an easy grand less it has a set of original 15" magnum 500s off his wife's old 71 XR7 cougar covered in a pretty decent set of 50s. i do have some mods to do in the near future so i'll have to keep you posted on my progress

thanks for welcoming me to the rhelm of the classics guys...glad to be part of the brotherhood!

------------------

- speed safe -
Old 05-13-2001, 01:48 AM   #5
Ron1
Registered Member

Did you happen to run some water into the cowl in front of the windshield, and check for leaks..it would come down on your or your passengers feet. Run your hands on the bottom sides of the doors, they are usually rotted thru. There was no place for the water to run off. And in the trunk, the wells on the far right and left. Water always collected here too.
Just a couple of things to check. I ran into it on my 68.

Ron
Ron1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2001, 02:33 AM   #6
Power
Registered Member

Glad I could help bro. If you have more questions there is quite a few guys on here that know quite a bit. The classic guys in general tend to be less post happy then the rest of the crew. But they answer questions good.

Glad you could get one(classic), they are a lot of fun. Good luck with the project...

------------------
1966 Baby blue Coupe, 289, Manual 3-speed, Edelbrock 650, Flowmaster 3-chambers, and minor upgrades. Interior work includes custom paneling, custom dash dress-up(I refuse to cut anything out of the original), Rewiring most of the electronics, Porsche 911 seats installed soon, and Stroker kit when I get to Texas. November of 2001 I will go back to Dallas.
Old 05-13-2001, 04:03 PM   #7
Eleanor
Registered Member

Ron1, i didn't happen to run any water down the cowl, but i gave it a visual inspection and it seemed to be structually sound (no rust at all), though i will go through the drain holes with a snake and see if i run into anything. thanks.

------------------

- speed safe -
Old 05-14-2001, 11:14 PM   #8
induction
The Brit!

Red face

Hey , Eleanor I dont know about runnin that snake it may cause some new problems, OH an about that "brotherhood thing" LOL j/k welcome the the world fof clasic stangs cuz we all love em!!!!!!!!!! Run the water first an see if yoe have any leaks FIRST.

------------------
Restored 1965 Coupe
April Mare of the Month
induction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2001, 11:30 AM   #9
Eleanor
Registered Member

ok induction, sorry bout the 'brotherhood' comment...yea, it was a bit sexist. but honestly, for the past 3 years in dealing with fox-bodies i knew of one girl that drove one and her boyfriend did all the work to it...so i kinda have some brainwashing to get rid off.

as for the cowl...i did run some water first as of this morning and i'm happy to say there are no leaks.

------------------

- speed safe -
Old 05-15-2001, 12:22 PM   #10
induction
The Brit!

COOL !!!!! no leaks, man thats alot of work ta remove the cowl (ar'nt there twenty som-odd spot welds in there?) Hey El dont worry 'bout me I just like ta give you guys A hard time . If anyone is that sensative , than working on cars just may not be the place to be... lol Just think; brotherhod means a union of all ,with the same goals, ideal, and mission; what beter term for mankind????

------------------
Restored 1965 Coupe
April Mare of the Month
Old 05-15-2001, 12:50 PM   #11
Power
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by induction:
...what beter term for mankind????...

Wow...a female that isn't griping about the Mankind vs Womankind vs Personkind. Finally someone just recognizes that mankind means nothing more than humans.

Sorry, personal peeve.

As for Eleanor, my car's cowl was removed so I never have to worry about leaks or rust down there. Food for thought...

------------------
Old 05-29-2001, 02:03 PM   #12
induction
The Brit!

Talking

~~~~~~~~~~~~ BIG O'L GRINN ~~~~~~~~~~

------------------
Restored 1965 Coupe
April Mare of the Month
Old 05-29-2001, 03:36 PM   #13
Eleanor
Registered Member

so power, how do you go about dealing with heat and defrosting because, if i'm correct, doesn't that cut out the intake to the heater box?

------------------

- speed safe -
Old 05-29-2001, 04:34 PM   #14
Power
Registered Member

Ha! Heating and defrosting who and what???

Can we say bare bones, no frills?

I live in Hawaii so right now I don't have to worry about it. I figure that I'll cross that bridge when I get there. Maybe I'll just cut some new vents from the wheel wells and route them to a heater and AC unit if I ever need them. I guess I'll figure it out somehow.....
Old 05-30-2001, 06:46 AM   #15
Eleanor
Registered Member

haha...lucky you! well, ya know what i was thinking...my brother just picked up a '53 F100 and i happened to notice the heater box intake. it's the old pop-up style - ya know, oval-shaped piece of metal that stayed flush with the car with rubber weather stripping around it and there's an interior latch that props it up when the driver wants to use it. i'm actually contemplating a similar mock-up...to the drawing board. lemme know what you all think! thanks.

------------------

- speed safe -