MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Small Ponies
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 07-05-2000, 07:44 PM   #1
slimdawg711
Registered Member

Unhappy Help!

I absolutely love mustangs and have always wanted one. I have a limited income right now and need a car. I was thinking of buying a V4, but i want a 5.0, can i switch this car to the one i want? and if so how expensive would it be?
slimdawg711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2000, 09:47 PM   #2
GodStang
College Stanger

first off there is no such thing as a V4. It is an in-line 4 or stright 4. What type of V8 do you want. MM&FF put a 351W in a 4 banger for about 3000 dollars. IT was used parts and they did it there selves. You can spend unlimeted amouts on it. It just depends on what you want.
GodStang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2000, 03:28 PM   #3
mr.saleen
Registered Member

buy a 4 banger it'l cost you about $300 then build your v8 the way you want it buying it a part at a time you can get the v8 at a junk yard for about $150 and rebuild it. and you can drive it around while you build the v8 it should only take a day to put the v8 in and you can drive it to work the next day.
mr.saleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2000, 08:54 AM   #4
Mr 5 0
Conservative Individualist

Buy a 2.3 Mustang and yes, you certainly can installa V-8 in it at some later date.
Understand that although the 4 cylinder and the V-8 are basically the same car, there are a lot of subtle differences, besides the engine, alone.
The V-8 has different suspension (spring rates, rear anti-sway bar), wheels and tires (the V-8's are much larger/wider), exhaust (V-8 has true duel exhaust with two catalytic converters on each bank), motor mounts have to be changed and of course, the electronics are different, too.
Switching a 4 cylinder Mustang to a 5.0 is not rocket science, but it's not like doing a tune-up either and there is some expense involved to do it correctly.

Plan ahead, go slowly and get a Mustang that has a very clean, rust-free body in a style you really like and enjoy it while working on the 5.0 engine you'll eventually install.
Mr 5 0 is offline   Reply With Quote