MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Small Ponies
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 10-19-2003, 03:28 PM   #1
mustardjohn
Registered Member

Default CAI Stock on 2003!???

I was looking at my 2003 3.8 getting ready to order a cold air induction kit seeing how it would be put in. It looks to me like the 2003 already has CAI. A hose from the throttle body goes down to the MAF box into a filter housing and then out through the side of the fender well. It looks like the air is coming into the system from the passenge side fender well. What up with this? The part I was going to order is metal instead of rubber, it replaces the tube to the MAF and the filter housing and the air filter is installed in the fender well but I don't see how this would get any more cold air in than what is on the 2003 stock. Is it the metal tube that cools the air. I am confused. I don't want to spend $179 plus shipping for nothing really added.
mustardjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2003, 11:16 PM   #2
stanger9219
Registered Member

The metal does keep the air cooler, and the inner wall is smoother so the air is less restricted. They ussually come with a K&N or something like a k&n. I dont know what the 3.8 motor is like but on the CAI the air filter is mounted completely inside the fender wall which sucks in more air and isnt restricted by the air box. The air is still coming from the fender wall though. It should help on a 3.8 but i dont think it would give a huge improvement.
Old 10-20-2003, 11:39 AM   #3
GodStang
College Stanger

Also when you get the CAI you get rid of the air silencer and the restrictive box.
Old 10-21-2003, 06:26 PM   #4
mustardjohn
Registered Member

Thanks, I can see your point that the bigger less restricted air filter and straight smoot pipe will do some good but it sure looks to me like Ford is already bringing in air from outside the engine compartment which accounts for some of the benefit CAI mod would add.
It looks cool too. But I wonder how hard it is to get that new filter installed in the fender well. It does not look like it will fit through the hole in the side of the fender wall/engine compartment wall. So how do you get it up into place on the end of the new air intake tube? From under the car? Surely you don't have to take off the inner fender which is attached with a bunch of those plastic pop rivits.
On my Contour it just dropped into place of the old system. But this sounds and looks different. I don't want a system that is a pain in the butt to change the air filter on.
Ny help and advice much appreciated
Old 10-21-2003, 10:33 PM   #5
stanger9219
Registered Member

You're prolly gonna have to go under the car to get the air box out anyway...i had to on my 92...and i know its a lot diffferent then mine. It just takes some fanessing, if thats how you spell it, to get the air box out and the filter in. Get a k&n..that way you dont have to worry about replacing it. Just cleaning it every once in a while.
Old 10-22-2003, 07:27 AM   #6
GodStang
College Stanger

You lay on the ground and you slide it up from the bottom. It is not hard at all.

Go here: http://www.mustangworld.com/ourpics/fcar/coldairmac.htm
Not the same car or system but installs the same exact way.
Old 10-22-2003, 02:36 PM   #7
Dark_5.0
Registered Member

Just drop a K&N in the stock air box and be done with it.

Leave the silencer. My cobra runs quicker with the silencer in so I cant imagine it helping your V6 by removing it.

Save your money for a more worthy mod.
Dark_5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2003, 05:35 PM   #8
mustardjohn
Registered Member

I love this web site! Great support and no lack of opinions. The step by step picture install is really helpful. I see how it is going to work now. I have some of those ramps you can run your car up on. I should be able to get to then without much problem.

Thanks

About that Silencer when I put the CAI system on my Contour it made one hell of a racket. A kind of like loud humming noise when the air rate would change. I mean really loud and irritating. I had to put back in the screen with its rubber ring. Apparently noise from the the Throttle body was some how getting amplified by the new system. Putting the screen back in between the MAF and the New system stopped the noise. You cans still hear it a little but not like before

What is this Sliencer doing on the 3.8?
Old 10-24-2003, 07:12 AM   #9
GodStang
College Stanger

the silencer is the little rubber snorkle piece and it just cuts down the whooooshing noise. I would leave the screen on the MAF in unless you get a whole new MAF. Hope this helps.