MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Small Ponies
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 03-28-2003, 07:26 AM   #1
arivera
Registered Member

Default Lowering the Pony

Okay, I have about $500.00 to work with and would like to lower my 1997 mustang (I could probably squeeze more from the wife if needed) . I was wondering what is the best kit to buy and what other options I had.

Also, is there anything else I need to do when I lower it? I have heard rumors that lowering it will cause some alignment problems? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
'97 V-6 Stang: Custom Catback Exhaust System w/2 Flowmaster 40 series dual-chamber mufflers [True Dual Exhaust] w/ 3-1/2 inch tips, DenseCharger Cold Air Induction, Taylor 8mm Ignition Wires, PIAA hyperwhite headlights, Carbon Fiber Dash Bezel, Econ Front and rear drilled and slotted rotors.
arivera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2003, 08:50 PM   #2
cgrant26
Registered Member

Default Suspension Tech 101...

It sounds to me like your taking a good approach to this, the first thing anyone should do when planning an upgrade is decide "How Much" you have to spend. Your budget is definatly a workable one. Before you start looking for parts, you need to ask yourself a couple of questions. Are you going more for appearance or for performance? Is this going to be a daily driver or a weekend warrior? Is ride quality an issue? (I.E how are the roads where you live) What are your long-term goals?
Without knowing the answers to these questions, I can tell you a few things your going to want reguardless. First off, with ANY drop your going to want a set of castor/camber plates. I have MAC aluminum plates on my 96' and they work pretty well for me. The MAC plates use urathane bushings which give a little bit more absortion of vibration but can bind up in extreme cornering. If you want to go a step better than MAC, I would reccomend Maximum Motorsports or Steeda CC Plates.
Something else you will need to take into consideration; if you go for a set of high rate springs, you will probably need to upgrade your struts. Your OEM struts may work fine for a while, but under high spring rates, they WILL go bad.
As far as springs, I have a set of Jamex springs and rear struts which drop the car 2" on all 4 corners. The car handles 300% better than stock with this combo but my ride quality has really gone to ****. In retrospect, I would have gotten progressive rate springs. I think for the CC plates and springs I paid about $250 by getting them on ebay. One thing I really would like to stress, buy reputable brands. I know too many people who ended up with shitty no-name stuff in the name of saving a buck. I hope this info helped you out. Let me know more specifically what you are going for and I can give you a little bit better direction.
cgrant26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2003, 08:46 AM   #3
GodStang
College Stanger

Mine was 750ft/Lb progressive rate. I paid $250 + $50= $300
for everything includig alignment.