MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Small Ponies
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 08-07-2002, 08:51 PM   #1
PNYXPS66
Registered Member

Question 4 bangr engin swap?

Greetings! It's been a while since I last posted, but I have a big question. I have an 88 pony with a 4cylinder that broke a timing belt. After fixing the belt, the engine ran with a lope. After a compression test, #1 cylinder compresses to 30-35# then drops to zero on each complete revolution. Suspect is a bent valve.

A friend has a rusted out 91 pony, 4 cylinder with the DIS 8-plug ignition system. Other than the ignition system, the power train appears to be identical.

Can I place the 91 power train in the 88 pony? Access to the computer and other wiring harnesses are there and would come with the replacement engine. What all would I need to collect?

For $200 would the swap be worth the time and effort? The 88 engine runs, and the other cylinders register above 90 psi on the compression test (#2-90 #3-95 #4-140).

This forums collective wisdom is greatly appreciated.

Robert Seabrook, Beaufort, SC
Old 08-07-2002, 09:57 PM   #2
PKRWUD

Before buying anything, I would pull the head on the '88, and see how bad the damage is. Look to see if the piston is cracked, how bad the head is, etc. If it's minor, and I expect it will be since only one cylinder is bad, you would be better off having that head fixed, and keeping the '88. If the damage is severe, and the piston is cracked, then go for the '91.

Take care,
~Chris
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2002, 12:50 AM   #3
PNYXPS66
Registered Member

Default Agreed . . .

I agree that the best thing would be to pull the head and have it checked along with the piston. However, time is of the essence and around here machine work takes two+ weeks to turn around for non commercial customers. If the swap is a matter of changing engine harnesses, and swapping all of the engine components and sensors, that may be my better bet.

If I have to change out the dash wiring harness as well, plus make all kindsa mods to get the thing to work, !@#$ that, and I'll be without a car for a while longer.

Ford tended not to make too many modifications between individual years unless they made radical, obvoius changes to the entire car design. Since 88 and 91 ponies are in the same model year class, I thought it may work with minimal effort.

Being the engineer type that I tend to be, I was doping out the research first, then making an educated decision on which avenue to take. I hate getting in the middle of a project and wishing I went the other way.

Thanks for the input, that's one for engine teardown
Old 08-08-2002, 01:42 AM   #4
PKRWUD

It's your choice, but i think swapping engines is going to be a lot more work than you realize. They are two very different engines (not to mention you'd be going from SD to MAF). Also, the '88 is significantly stronger than the '91.

Like I said, though, it's up to you.

Sorry I can't tell you more.

Take care,
~Chris
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
Old 08-08-2002, 03:21 AM   #5
PNYXPS66
Registered Member

Thanks for the heads up. I'm planning to check out the specs on each engine tomorrow. I appreciate your directness, and no apology is necessary.

I'll see what else turns up from others here, but I believe I'll be tearing into the original motor unless someone else has a DRAMATIC reason why not to. I like to keep options open as long as possible.

Keep it up PKRWUD!
Old 08-08-2002, 03:43 AM   #6
PKRWUD

*footnote*
The '91 is rated higher (hp), but I have never seen one that is stronger. The '85-'90 had a much bigger cam, too.

Take care,
~Chris
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
Old 08-09-2002, 01:39 AM   #7
84LX89GT
Mustangs

Me and my friend raced up a hill going to another friends house and at the time i had a '91 and he had an '89 mustang, both 2.3L's. My car pulled on him fairly well but it was like watching two slugs race. It was horrible . That engine only made 105 horsepower or something like that to his 88 (i believe) and it got horrible gas mileage (close to 20). I much would have rather had his engine because my dual coil system had lots of problems. Driving either of the two you don't notice much difference in the torque band, but the dual plug engine has more top end (if you can call 4,000rpm topend).

Putting the dual plug engine in your '88 is probably more trouble than it's worth....but you gotta do what you gotta do i guess.

1980 Ford Thunderbird - 255 V8
ported heads, 5.0L ported stock headers, O.R. H-pipe and Flowmaster 2-chambers, dual roller timing chain
hi-po Mack Truck hood emblem

1985 Mustang GT 5.0L T5, F-303, GT40p, headers, off-road h, flowmasters, MSD stuff, etc.

Sold 02/06/04
1989 Mustang GT ET: 13.304@102.29 mph (5-24-03)

Sold - 1998 Mustang Cobra coupe, 1/4 mile - street tires: 13.843@103.41 (bone stock)
84LX89GT is offline   Reply With Quote