MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 03-21-2002, 11:24 PM   #1
RoadWarrior
Registered Member

Default Power? Windows

I hope you guys can give me a hand with this because the weather is finally warming up here and i cant roll down the windows using the drivers side control.

The weird thing is the passenger can roll down their window. I tries taking a quick look at the setup by just popping off the little cover(its a 82) and blowing it out along with using a small file and making sure all the connections were clean.

I even tried swapping switches from one side to the other to no avail. Im thinking its something wrong with the wiring but its strange that it happened so suddenly. If its the wiring i can probably go through that but i have to: a. get the door panel off b. take it in. I do know my way around the car but im not sure how to get the door panels off. Do i really need that fancy tool? If you guys can give me some ideas or how to's it would be greatly appreciated. I gotta be able to cruise with the windows down and t-tops off. Thanks in advance
RoadWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2002, 01:45 AM   #2
Ponycar_302
Registered Member

I have the same problem with my wife's Tarus, only it's the passenger side. Most likely it's your switch, not the wiring. Here's what you do to check it.

Take the switch out and disconnect the quick disconnect wiring chumpy (tech term there). Get a battery charger and plug it in. Use two small wires (one for negative, one for positive) and stick them in the battery charger clamps. Now, stick the ends of the wires in the holes of the wiring connector thingy (another tech term). I believe it's positive to positive (or negative to negative) will put the window down, and negative to positive wil put it up. If the window works by doing this it's your switch. That is what's wrong with the wife's car, but nobody sells the switch. If it doesn't work then it's probably the wiring.

Although I've done this several times with great success I cannot be held liable for any, um, "complications" you may run into.
Old 03-22-2002, 04:19 PM   #3
86LX5liter
Registered Member

raodwarrior, let us know how you make out, i had trouble with mine, and replaced everything...maybe i didn't have to
Can't wait till Spring for E-town.
My ride
86LX5liter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2002, 02:22 AM   #4
joe4speed
He said Member...heh, heh

ya only need the "tool" if you have manual windows.
I would check the switch too. And ya can't rule out the motor too!
Old 03-23-2002, 07:34 PM   #5
2ponys
Registered Member

I had the same problem a couple of weeks ago. Not sure if your elec motor is the same. Mine wouldn't work at all, swapped switchs and nothing. I pulled the elec motor out(3 screws) and removed the cover that covers the gears, cogs or whatever you call them. I thought the motor might be bad but a plastic piece inside the gears had broke up and binded up the the motor. I paid $20 for a gear set and greased all the rails and it works great now!