MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Small Ponies
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 03-13-2001, 08:00 PM   #1
NPlack
Registered Member

Question Anyone with 2300 (2.3L) info, please respond!!!

I am currently considering buying a 1987 Mustang LX hatchback for $350 to use for a ditch-runner and dunebuggy. It is equipped with a 5 speed and the 2.3L. Is the 2.3 a stong engine? Can it be run to hell without dying a fast death? Also does anyone know the tech specs on it, like Compression Ratio, HP, Torque, etc... Any help would be appriciated!

-Plack
NPlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2001, 11:05 AM   #2
PNYXPS66
Registered Member

Talking

Been looking for someone with whom to share 2300 info. The 2300's are excellent engines and very heavy duty. They aren't HP's like the 5.0's, but I've been trying to play with them a little myself. I have a 79 and 88 coupe. Check out a posting here from a few days ago (10) I posted "XR4TI head/Turbo addition". If you are looking for a mud bogger,etc I'd go with carbureted instead of fuel injected. I've had a few ideas if you are interested.

------------------
Pony Express 66
God Speed and keep it between the lines!
PNYXPS66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2001, 03:40 PM   #3
Fostang
Registered Member

A roller cam and a turbo really makes em go. Only thing is that a turbo engine and a regular is different. The turbo engine has piston that are dished to lower compression to 8.0:1 lessens detonation with the turbo.

------------------
67'fastback- Edelbrock carb, intake, cam, valve springs. Road lifters, Comp Cam rocker arms, windage tray, cerama coated headers, dual flows with H-pipe, modded c-4, tci stall converter, perma cool electric fan, aluminum water pump, griffen aluminum radiator, accel 8.8 cable, wide cap distriburator, magnetic pick up, manley valves, v-matic hurst shifter, edelbrock performer nitrous, carter electric fuel pump, ignitor coil, solid motor mounts, magna racing suspension, poly urathane bushings, und
Fostang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2001, 09:41 PM   #4
PNYXPS66
Registered Member

Question

Is the only diff the compression ratio? Where can I get a complete turbo setup? What do I need to do to install a roller cam in a standard hydraulic head? Thanks for the reply Fostang.
Old 03-15-2001, 11:17 PM   #5
Fostang
Registered Member

Basically I think that all that changes from one block to another is the compression. Well too make one a turbo you need the computer for a turbo charged car, exhaust manifold, turbo, knock sensors, all the fittings, intercooler, mass air sensor, and of course the car has to be multi port fuel injected. My best bet is to find an 88 turbo coupe engine and work off that. Adding a turbo can be rather a rather tedious task. As for adding a roller cam all you need is the cam, and the roller followers. If you want a good head I recomend one from a XR4TI Merkur or you can get one from Powerheads.com.

------------------
67'fastback- Edelbrock carb, intake, cam, valve springs. Road lifters, Comp Cam rocker arms, windage tray, cerama coated headers, dual flows with H-pipe, modded c-4, tci stall converter, perma cool electric fan, aluminum water pump, griffen aluminum radiator, accel 8.8 cable, wide cap distriburator, magnetic pick up, manley valves, v-matic hurst shifter, edelbrock performer nitrous, carter electric fuel pump, ignitor coil, solid motor mounts, magna racing suspension, poly urathane bushings, und
Old 03-17-2001, 12:45 AM   #6
PNYXPS66
Registered Member

Talking

Thanks for the info; I'll check out Powerheads.com. If I went turbo, I'd be putting it into a 79 pony that of course didn't have all the EEC-IV electronics, etc. Would that mean that I'd have to get the wiring also? Do you know of a setup that would not require all the sensors, or are the sensors an integral part of the entire setup? I'd understand sensors like the O2 and the knock sensor, but the mass airflow reports air density to assist in regulating fuel mixture. I thought the put turbo's on naturally aspirated engines before fuel injection and computer controlled emmissions. Am I wrong?

------------------
Pony Express 66
Old 03-17-2001, 03:39 AM   #7
Fostang
Registered Member

The difference is that all of the easyly adaptable turbos out there for a 2.3 engine are for fuel injected ones. Everything just bolts right up. Nope don't know of anything that wont require all the wiring. Having a turbo is a big hassle. Plenty of detonation at high RPM's the sensors just lessen it.

------------------
Old 03-18-2001, 12:07 AM   #8
PNYXPS66
Registered Member

Talking

Thanks for the guidance Fostang! I think I'll stay with the increased compression and natural aspiration. I only use detonation to solve difficult problems -- the bigger the problem, the bigger the detonation! No need to have it as a "feature" of a performance gain.

------------------
Pony Express 66