MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 04-04-2001, 02:03 PM   #1
Mike 88GT
Registered Member

Question Power Windows, help!

I'm having trouble with my power windows. They are cutting out when I role them up or down. Then I have to wait between 5mins to and hour for them to work again. I have a rag top, and I lube the gaskets all the time because I thought that that might be why the windows are hanging up and cutting out. But it doesn't help. I think I need to change a "cuircit board"? Do I? How do I fix my problem? And where do I get the parts to do the repairs? Someone please help.
Mike 88GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2001, 02:23 PM   #2
Hammer
AKA "Dr. Evil"

Wink

Do both of them do it? or just one?
If its just one, it could be a motor or something that is catching the window.

If its both, you're probably looking at a wiring or circuit problem.

It's time to bring out the multimeter and wiring diagrams my friend...

------------------
"The Yellowjacket"
Ricer 1: What the heck was that!?
Ricer 2: I don't know. It looked kind of like a yellow SN95 Mustang.
Ricer 1: Nah, fast SN95 Mustangs don't exist... Must have been a mirage or something...
Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2001, 02:53 PM   #3
SmokeyDP
Registered Member

I have convertible also. What do you use to lube up the gaskets?

------------------
1992 GT 5.0L Convertible
BBK Shorties, Flowmasters, Super Chip, Mass Air, Under Drive Pullies, Hurst Shifter, Duck Tape
AIM: SmokeyDP
SmokeyDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2001, 04:29 PM   #4
dinomite
The Dude

Everyone should lube gaskets, silicone spray is best.
dinomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2001, 04:58 PM   #5
Mike 88GT
Registered Member

Hammer.
All of four of the windows cut out. If I role them up, one at a time, and don't stop once there on there way up or down, they seem to work most of the time. But if I stop half way up, they'll cut out like theres no power to them anymore. I wait alittle bit, and they work again.
Old 04-05-2001, 03:10 AM   #6
Power
Registered Member

Finally, something I am good at and can give good advice about. This definitly sounds like a wiring prob. When it started was it just as bad as now or is it getting worse? If its progessivly getting worse then its probably your motors.....which is highly unlikly since all windows are doing it at the same time. See if it tends to happen when you are running something else at the same time( ie turning on an amp in trunk, or turning on AC). If you have done any wiring yourself recently check and see if you scraped or cut any wires anywhere. Hope i could help you, and if you ever install audio systems let me know.....3 years and $5k later i might be able to help...

------------------
1966 Baby blue Coupe, 289 w/ man. 3-speed, nothing special but the fact that it is my first mustang. I am a former import guru....no more.

I've never run it except on the street, it has new wheels & tires, new exaust, and that about covers it. Looking to change a lot in the future including engine. Any ideas are appreciated.
Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2001, 09:27 AM   #7
Mike 88GT
Registered Member

Question

Power,
I haven't done any stero install in it yet that I would gotten close to any factory wires like that. I too know about stero installing and know that thats not the problem. It was doing it when I first got the car. Ex. If I'm roling up one window and someone eles roles theres up at the same time, the will both cut out and then theres no power to any of the 4 windows. Someone once told me that my power window circuit board was getting bad and cutting out on over load. Then it will reset it self and work again. Do you know where this circuit board is? And could this be the problem? If its wiring, where would I start to look beings all the windows are affected? I know how to use my amp. meter and volt tester, but just don't have a clue where to start. I have tested at one window at a time. And when it will cut out, the power just disappears to it. Is there somewhere I could order a wiring diagram for my car? Thanks for your help and responce.
Old 04-05-2001, 09:56 AM   #8
Hammer
AKA "Dr. Evil"

I've never heard of a window "circuit board", but that doesn't mean there isn't one...

Your problem is certainly centralized in one location where all of the motors would receive their voltage. Considering the exact nature of the problem, it could very well be a problem with a bad circuit board somewhere.
(A bad solder run, a bad capacitor, separated heat sink... who knows...)

Find a Chilton's or Haynes manual for your car. They should have the wiring diagrams.
Find your window switches and your window motors in the schematic and trace where they all meet. That area would be a good bet....
Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2001, 02:15 PM   #9
Mike 88GT
Registered Member

Hemmer,
Thanks, thats just what I'll do. I don't know why I didn't think of that. I knew there had to be some kind of book out there that would tell me wiring for my car. I'll give it a shot and let ya know what I come up with. Thanks again for all your help!
Old 04-10-2001, 04:07 PM   #10
Mike 88GT
Registered Member

I got the haynes book for my car. But it doesn't show any wiring diagram for the power windows. I looked all through the book and theres nothing on them anywhere, not even in the back with the rest of the wiring diagrams. Now what do I do?
Old 04-10-2001, 04:46 PM   #11
Rev
Registered Member

After looking at this post, it seems to me that there must be a circuit breaker in the main feed somewhere. If you're drawing too many amps while raising all the windows at the same time, just raise them 2 at a time or one at a time. If the problem corrects itself after a time span, it's because a circuit breaker or a motor has cooled off. If you take things apart and put an ampmeter on at the appropriate points, you should find an obvious culprit.

Rev

------------------
'66 Coupe, 306, 300 HP, C-4, 13.97 e.t., 100.3 mph
1/4 mi.
Rev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2001, 08:37 AM   #12
Mike 88GT
Registered Member

Rev,
The problem is past the stage of when I role up more than one window at a time. It only takes roling up one window at a time to knock out the circut. And doesn't matter which window it is that is is being roled up. And it knocks out all the windows and the power door locks as well. I wait alittle bit, and they all come back on again. If I grab the top of the window and pull on it to help it role up, when I'm roling it up, it seems to help. Now I've found that the windows and power door locks have two seperate circut boards for each. SO I think I will check the lock out switch for the windows and see if thats bad. But would that also knock out the door locks? I hate this, I should just replace EVERYTHING and start over with all new.