MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Small Ponies
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 04-15-2002, 08:16 AM   #1
Spyder1914
Registered Member

Question air induction

I saw on a forum a while ago, somebody said the cold air intake didnt produce any more power than just a K&N air filter. After that I emailed a tech at mac performance and he confirmed that saying, it doesnt help because it pulls the air from the same place, its just a shiny tube for looks. He said you need to get a new 73mm mass air filter. Is this the part that tells the engine to pull in more air? Is there a way to eliminate your air box? Or what other thigs can you do?
Spyder1914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2002, 10:36 AM   #2
99Pony3.8
Registered Member

I posted that response, glad you were able to confirm it. Most people think I'm nuts when I tell them CAI's are crap. What you actually need is a new mass air sensor. The sensor is what is limiting performance - it is very restrictive. It is an aluminum tube located at the back of the air box. Getting a larger, "bored" out sensor will get you some real HP (about 10) as opposed to 3 with a CAI. Check out C&L performance for info on the kit I got. It costs about $250, but is is worth it. Pro-Flow also makes one for 3.8's, but they cost about $500. C&L is at http://www.cnlperformance.com/v6maf.html. and Pro-Flow is at http://www.pro-flow.com.
Old 04-15-2002, 02:28 PM   #3
GodStang
College Stanger

I agree about it not producing HP. It is more or less getting the airfilter out of the engine compartment to clean up the look. It is for looks. I made a CAI on my V-6 and it just looks alot better then the air silencer.
Old 04-15-2002, 10:07 PM   #4
Bake
Registered Member

what i have done to mine is. instead of having the little tiny hole where the air silencer usualy is to allow air to enter my K&N, i have completely eliminated the air filter housing (tood a dremel to is and only kept the ring that clamps the filter to the sensor and one peg to hold it up, will post pics soon) it is now a 360 degree filter (ALL of the cone is exposed) it gets fairly cool air because of the currents that flow through the engine bay as you drive and yes i know it is getting more warm air. but there is definately a gain in hp. avg before was 177hp avg and now it is 182hp. <- using a g-tech properly on a really flat street getting up to 100MPH not torqing the car on shifts.

as i said above, i will post some pics soon. next step for me tho will be a new sensor. but i have seen what i have done on lots of cars like GT's that have been moded and older 5.0's and even on f-bodies..

-kyle
Bake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2002, 11:36 AM   #5
GodStang
College Stanger

I used a 90 degree elbow and turned it into my wheel whale. Cost me all of $10. No air silencer.